Sub 2 tonne excavators

felixthelogchopper

Yes, my understanding is that the 219 has nearly 40cm extra reach over the 016. When you stand next to the two models the 219 boom is considerably beefier than the 016.

Not sure why but the takeuchis seen to have quite small engines compared to other makes, yet doesn't seem to struggle on power, never tried the tb014 tho.

Schaeff have a reputation for being strong, quite big rams too aren't they?

I'll get some pics when mine arrives from Japan:thumbup1:

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, my understanding is that the 219 has nearly 40cm extra reach over the 016. When you stand next to the two models the 219 boom is considerably beefier than the 016.

Not sure why but the takeuchis seen to have quite small engines compared to other makes, yet doesn't seem to struggle on power, never tried the tb014 tho.

Schaeff have a reputation for being strong, quite big rams too aren't they?

I'll get some pics when mine arrives from Japan:thumbup1:

I had an 014 on hire once, gutless wasn't the word, especially against the Schaeff. Apparently it's the same pump as the 016, but the engine is smaller so that might be why.

Yeah the Schaeff rams are easily the size of those on a 2.5 ton machine, or three ton JCB. They are top mounted which is part of the reason but there's a hell of a lot more power there than any other 1.5 I've ever seen. They did the same engine and pump in a 1.6 ton and 2 ton machine (HR12 and HR13) with longer reach- I'd love one of those but never seen one for sale locally. The tilt hitch has given me about a foot extra reach but of course break out force will be greatly reduced. Time will tell.

I do struggle sometimes with lack of weight, but the arse end has a lot of tailswing which helps (or no, as the case often is! :blushing:)

I love over-engineering, you don't see it often enough.

I had an 014 on hire once, gutless wasn't the word, especially against the Schaeff. Apparently it's the same pump as the 016, but the engine is smaller so that might be why.

Yeah the Schaeff rams are easily the size of those on a 2.5 ton machine, or three ton JCB. They are top mounted which is part of the reason but there's a hell of a lot more power there than any other 1.5 I've ever seen. They did the same engine and pump in a 1.6 ton and 2 ton machine (HR12 and HR13) with longer reach- I'd love one of those but never seen one for sale locally. The tilt hitch has given me about a foot extra reach but of course break out force will be greatly reduced. Time will tell.

I do struggle sometimes with lack of weight, but the arse end has a lot of tailswing which helps (or no, as the case often is! :blushing:)

I love over-engineering, you don't see it often enough.

Do schaeff still make machines or is it badged as Terex now?

If been trying to do some comparisons with various makes but it seems takeuchis information is all over the place. You said you saw the dig depth of the tb219 at 2.27 but taks website says 2.52m Max dig depth.

I'm curious to find the best spec machine per weight, your one at 1.5(?) Ton certainly seems very well endowed but doesn't seem like the 2 ton version seems as good- in relative to its weight increase. I'm not even going to look at Jcbs website because their mini diggers are about as much use as a fart in a thunderstorm from my experiance.

Terex bought Schaeff, like they did with Matbro.

References I used:

TAKEUCHI | PRODUCTS | Compact Excavators / Hydraulic Excavators | TB219

TB219/TB016 Possibly the UK standard long arm spec is listed elsewhere.§

Terex-Schaeff HR 11 - specifications, manuals, technical data - Mascus UK

HR11

TerexHR2.0Mini Excavator

I think this is the latest Terex 2 tonner, for comparison.

It's not all about power to weight, the best thing about a Tak is the residual values. It's like a secondhand MS181 on eBay- you can't loose!

Here's the latest Terex 2 tonner actually, and it's not changed much. They have introduced some weedier looking models, which I don't like the look of. But this is sweet as.

TC20 - Terex Construction

You've got me started now! I'm phoning for a price this morning. Depends what they'll offer me for my old one- I suspect we may be together for a while more yet!

How much for the TB219 if you don't mind me asking? PM me if you want.

I've driven a lot of 1.5 ton mini's and owned a Bobcat, there's not much between any of them really and as with all things when buying secondhand it's probably as much about what turns up at a good price, good condition, etc, rather than getting too hung up on any make. Start going up the weight scale however and the differences start to become more pronounced.

That having been said, I'd always lean towards Kubota and was fortunate enough to unearth a genuine low hours 91-3 last year when I was looking for something midi size. It's phenominal, punches way above it's weight and even for someone who's driven more diggers over the years than I care to remember very, very, impressive. Doubt I'll ever part with it.

Wouldn't agree with the point on their "cosmetic" robustness however, most of the major plant hire and utility companies over here run Kubota and give them dogs abuse which they stand up to as well as anything and better than most.

I've driven a lot of 1.5 ton mini's and owned a Bobcat, there's not much between any of them really and as with all things when buying secondhand it's probably as much about what turns up at a good price, good condition, etc, rather than getting too hung up on any make. Start going up the weight scale however and the differences start to become more pronounced.

That having been said, I'd always lean towards Kubota and was fortunate enough to unearth a genuine low hours 91-3 last year when I was looking for something midi size. It's phenominal, punches way above it's weight and even for someone who's driven more diggers over the years than I care to remember very, very, impressive. Doubt I'll ever part with it.

Wouldn't agree with the point on their "cosmetic" robustness however, most of the major plant hire and utility companies over here run Kubota and give them dogs abuse which they stand up to as well as anything and better than most.

I'd disagree on there being little difference between 1.5 tonners? There are so many specs and variants now from each manufacturer that you can have a situation of a 1.4 tonne machine with standard tracks going up against a 1.9 tonne with expanding undercarriage?

Add in the engine variants, pump setups, arm lengths, etc etc and they really can be night and day?

All will get the job done of a fashion, some with more finesse but the popular ones have risen to the top of a very competitive market on their merit with residual values to match?

I'd disagree that Utilities prefer Kubota in this class, I'd put Takeuchi in front, but JCB's current large fleet order push is seeing them with some big orders.

Kubota will stand a good amount of punishment no doubt, the simple fact is the Takeuchi you can take it off and knock it straight again, but a plastic panel from Kubota will bring tears to your eyes!

No problem when it's charged out again to the Hirer, but if you own it, then it can be a big factor.

Eddie.