Sub 2 tonne excavators

felixthelogchopper

I'd disagree that Utilities prefer Kubota in this class,

Should have stated that i'm in Northern Ireland (thus the "over here" comment) and it IS the case that the major hire companies prefer Kubota. Also when I state "utility" companies to be precise I'm actually referring to a couple of major contractors who actually do the work but it is the case again that they by and large use Kubota, some have actually dabbled a bit with other stuff and gone back to Kubota again.

Obviously a 1.5 ton digger with zero tail swing and expanding tracks for example will be a completely different beast compared to one with conventional tracks and counter-balance. My point was that with a "standard" 1.5 tonner (give or take 50kg) there's not been a heap of difference in any that I've seen, they all end up in a very similar place as regards performance. Now there may be something out there that's totally **** and I've just been fortunate enough never to have to drive one, but I've driven just about every decent name you can think of at some time.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Should have stated that i'm in Northern Ireland (thus the "over here" comment) and it IS the case that the major hire companies prefer Kubota. Also when I state "utility" companies to be precise I'm actually referring to a couple of major contractors who actually do the work but it is the case again that they by and large use Kubota, some have actually dabbled a bit with other stuff and gone back to Kubota again.

Obviously a 1.5 ton digger with zero tail swing and expanding tracks for example will be a completely different beast compared to one with conventional tracks and counter-balance. My point was that with a "standard" 1.5 tonner (give or take 50kg) there's not been a heap of difference in any that I've seen, they all end up in a very similar place as regards performance. Now there may be something out there that's totally **** and I've just been fortunate enough never to have to drive one, but I've driven just about every decent name you can think of at some time.

Surely you must have driven a jcb at some point? I have been appaled by my experiance of jcbs in both the 1.5t and 3t, the 3t was the worse, it was so gutless you'd struggle to bring the dipper in and lift the boom at the same time if there was any weight in the bucket and the engine would appear to almost stall with the effort.

I'm inclined to believe there was something wrong with it until I read other forums saying the same thing.

I

Surely you must have driven a jcb at some point?

Actually no! Very, very seldom you'd see even anything JCB over here sub 7 tonne.

Only one JCB dealer covering all of Northern Ireland and they do very nicely thank you with sales of back-hoe loaders, quarry spec shovels, and the smaller shovels and telescopics to farmers, so given that the mini/midi market over here is very competitive they probably don't push them much.

[ATTACH]139137[/ATTACH]my 1992 hitachi does everything from 2m footing to loading bulk bags onto my hilux. It's a 1.4 tonne machine.

Need to pump your tracks up squire!

How do you load the bags? Before I got a tractor I remember trying with my mini and it was a nightmare, probably not very kind on the machine either. If the bags are full then you can't easily get a lift point on all the straps at once.

Actually no! Very, very seldom you'd see even anything JCB over here sub 7 tonne.

Only one JCB dealer covering all of Northern Ireland and they do very nicely thank you with sales of back-hoe loaders, quarry spec shovels, and the smaller shovels and telescopics to farmers, so given that the mini/midi market over here is very competitive they probably don't push them much.

Big Jake kit is lovely, I've driven plenty of JCB loading shovels and telehandlers and each one was impressive. Their mini excavators are the worst around, unfortunately. :thumbdown:

Agreed, have had three 3cx's of various specs over the years and driven many more, also various shovels and telescopics and all excellent kit to use and staggeringly tough.

I suppose you have to give them a couple of duffers.

Oh, and their phones are total pants as well!