top handled chainsaw history assignment

TJ_toast

on the 8th day god was sick, so mrs god had a go and invented a girls saw.:001_tongue:

blasphemy!!!

I dont use an 020 because it is easier to use and makes my work more efficient.I use it because it is the only saw that you need to have a cert for and therefore the most DANGEROUS!! :001_tongue:

Girls saw indeed :sad:

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You must include the McCulloch Power Mac6A the Worlds 1st [are you watching mr stihl] 6lb weight top handle chainsaw. It was light, powerful and many a tree surgeon learnt their trade in the 70's with one of these.

Pete Simmonds of Simmonds Saws in Petworth has a couple in working order.

Note MS200T today is 3.6kg without fuel, guide bar and chain thats 7.92lb plus what you can't do without. Now have we developed that far ?

I beg to differ....a bit

I'd heard that the 6A was a good saw and ahead of its time, but never used one, even though I've been around since the mid '70's....

Bought a refurbished one from a company about 10 years ago. It was gutless relative to my 335 Huskys and 020 Supers, and weighed about the same as the 335....it was definitely not a 6 pound saw, not even 7, but 7.3 or so...

I sent it back.

roger's right, powermac 6a was/is 7-1/4lbs (3.29kg) powerhead only...

yep i spend my saturday nights looking up 30yr old saw stats:001_smile:

You are right i should have wrote Power mac 6 which was the lightest saw after the mini mac which was the smallest, the PM6A came along afterwards and was short lived.

I worked for McCulloch for 12 yrs and although these saws were before my time they were talked about a lot and still in circulation when i started in the chainsaw business with Solo in 1980, i also worked for Dolmar so have seen a lot of changes.Still in the industry today with Oregon.

A good site is http://vintagechainsawcollection.blogspot.com/2007/03/mcculloch-power-mac-6lightest-saw-in.html

You are right i should have wrote Power mac 6 which was the lightest saw after the mini mac which was the smallest, the PM6A came along afterwards and was short lived.

the power mac 6 was also 7lb 4oz (3.29kg) powerhead only (according to my sources)

the mini mac 6 was 6 1/2lb (2.95kg) power head only.

anyhoo im splitting hairs, macs were amazing saws back in the day, their tophadles sure were light, even by todays standards (but they are a complete pita to work on, even compared to their fiddly modern ancestors).

their big saws are where its at though... sp125 ooh mama:001_smile: