Wykabor this ash?

Rhob the Log

Thanks Alec, will get that done asap. Would be a shame to waste such lovely timber and resin injection may be an option for the shake if it stays structurally sound.

Simon, have gone for Wykabor 10 (Wykamol) as it's suited to wet rot. £30 a jar. There was some talk of cheaper alternatives in another thread. Will report back when applied. Have 11 planks to do in total so will let you know the coverage I get...with a paint roller.

I agree with all Agg221 says above.

All such borate preservatives remain water-soluble in use; so they'll leach out if the wood gets wet/damp in the future. That means you'd need to dry it and use it in dry conditions (indoor or undercover). That being the case, you dont need a pesticide to arrest the decay fungi...desication will do that job. Once the timber is below about 30% moisture content structural degrade from the decay fungus will cease.

Im not a user borate or similar but can see where theyd be good to use in some situations ,

A couple of questions ,, can there be health problems arrising from inhaling dust from treated timber,,

And also do people using the treatment tell there customers its been treated as over the years ive seen no mentions about treatment by people selling wood

Quick search and seems it may be a benign bacteria affecting the heartwood.

The name Olive Ash is given to wood that has been infected by a non-damaging bacteria which causes irregular dark streaks in the heartwood and which looks similar to Olive wood.

Shadbolt International - Ash

Haven't found any other sources to back this up.

In this case i may look to avoid treatment, particularly with what Pete Bannister's said although it's reading >70% MC at the moment. Last week's mill is between 46 - >70% depending on location. Given how fast the ash firewood I've been cutting recently is drying, may be that it'd reach 30% in a month or so, with 1/2" stickers between.

A couple of questions ,, can there be health problems arrising from inhaling dust from treated timber,,

Ian Leech posted this a while back. Haven't had a chance to read it. HSE lists most wood dust as toxic, but they're not all poisonous.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/wis30.pdf

No idea on treatment histories from timber merchants...I expect not.