Is arb work hard work?

Horatio

Lucky you for having such a tight crew, the two guys my qualified groundys are ace.

I have no huge hurry to get a "labourer", but they come from the college looking for a foot in the door and they are just not that interested in getting dirty and sweaty for a whole day. There are some younger guys like will who sound great but at 24yrs old I wouldn't call him a boys.

Give a monkey a typewriter and.... Well you know the rest. One day the right guy will come walking in the yard.

:thumbup1:

College is actually a pretty good selection process for the industry :laugh1:! There were 38 people on my course when it started, one guy left on the first day when we were lectured on the dangers of the work and I think 2 more left after the first climbing lesson. It's certainly not a job for everyone, whether through interest or if they realise they don't like working at height/chainsaws/hardwork and college fizzles people out. I think 16 of us finished the course and qualified :lol:

I'm 24 now as you say but I've had my work ethic for all of my life. From the age of 13-16 I did 3 paper rounds a day, 7 days a week (and I had to be dieing to take a day off). Even now I still get to work 15/20mins early to sort out tools, check paperwork (even though I'm not a foreman, I do it for personal reasons as I like to feel involved in what the plans for the day/week are) and I'm regularly there after finish to take the saws apart to blow them out, do minor repairs, sharpen chains etc.

I'm not just sounding all me me me for praise, the point I'm making is that a persons work ethic is part of their personality rather than how old they are. Some of the best enthusiastic staff are the youngsters, from my experience of relentless battling to seek employment these are the people I feel for and hopefully it can be seen how huge generalisations make life even harder for these guys and why it annoys me so much. If I was 50 and was thinking about giving a college guy a foot in the door and read half these posts then it may even have been to put me off, which is totally unfair! This is not a personal dig Horatio, I'm speaking in general :001_cool:

Age, hair colour, skin colour, gender, nationality - None of these factors can judge the individual worker. If a thread generalised some of the more sensitive subjects above then it would be outrageous, age should be no different!

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Plus 1

He is probably tired from sorting out work for both of you quoting, going though paperwork. Maintaining all of his equipment the list goes on. Think yourself lucky he is not asking you to run back from the chipper as well!:lol:

I like the closing line!

Look at it from both sides, is he on the phone fixing next weeks work?

I suspect if this thread has been a bunch of guys sat round a bonfire it would have been a lot more amicable (either that or you would have kicked the cr@p out of all of us).

Ah, Shane you really seem to have the knack off annoying me.

You drivel you write just seems to pick at every little thing just for the sake of causing a stir.

By the way the only way I would ever be near a bonfire with you is if you were the Guy Fawkes.

Oh, and on a kinder note please could you amend your "motto" thing at the bottom of every post as I think I should read as follows.

And then one day you find, ten years have got behind you, no-one told you when to brisk walk (x run x), you missed the starting gun.

:lol::lol:So you WERE bullied at school:lol::lol:

Lucky you for having such a tight crew, the two guys my qualified groundys are ace.

I have no huge hurry to get a "labourer", but they come from the college looking for a foot in the door and they are just not that interested in getting dirty and sweaty for a whole day. There are some younger guys like will who sound great but at 24yrs old I wouldn't call him a boys.

Give a monkey a typewriter and.... Well you know the rest. One day the right guy will come walking in the yard.

Out of interest what college course have these lads done when they come for a job? When I did a conservation course we knew what we were in for, blisters, cuts, aches and pains included! It's not like tree surgery has this mystic aura about what we do, we hack bits of trees, drag it to a chipper, get covered in shite, and stink, it's gonna be hard work, but saying that, when I did the course at college I was 18/19, I worked my balls off, another lad was mid 20's and was the laziest, most useless sod I ever had the misfortune of meeting! Keep looking and you will find what you seek eventually, but most won't be keen on running

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

I do agree with (what I think) is the original basis of the question - "why don't these work shy, leg irons work as hard as me" (my interpretation) and I've seen & felt exactly that on many occasions when I've laid awake at night so physically exhausted that the twitching is keeping me awake or the double leg cramps make me jump out of bed and try to fight back the tears of excruciating pain whilst trying to stretch out over the stair banister.... But if there's someone on the job that makes me feel that way, they don't see day 2. Looking at another thread (do you love your job or just do the work (or something like that)) and mindful of the times I've said, sod this or this ain't worth the pain/effort, the answer is yes I do. I've been putting some pics together in a slide show for the website and looking at the jobs, remembering the challenge, thinking of the sense of achievement, yes I love it. It's just an observation, and perhaps a sad consequence of open forums, but I think you might have lost 'the popular vote' over the running to the chipper line which seems to have dominated the (more passionate) responses to the detriment of (what I think) might be the deeper question of "why don't people seem to want to graft fair."

You can't please all the people all the time!

Ah, Shane you really seem to have the knack off annoying me.

You drivel you write just seems to pick at every little thing just for the sake of causing a stir.

By the way the only way I would ever be near a bonfire with you is if you were the Guy Fawkes.

Oh, and on a kinder note please could you amend your "motto" thing at the bottom of every post as I think I should read as follows.

And then one day you find, ten years have got behind you, no-one told you when to brisk walk (x run x), you missed the starting gun.

:lol::lol:So you WERE bullied at school:lol::lol:

Whatever makes you feel better Shame, no typo. Great come back, so page 20.

Just out of interest how tall are you?

I do agree with (what I think) is the original basis of the question - "why don't these work shy, leg irons work as hard as me" (my interpretation) and I've seen & felt exactly that on many occasions when I've laid awake at night so physically exhausted that the twitching is keeping me awake or the double leg cramps make me jump out of bed and try to fight back the tears of excruciating pain whilst trying to stretch out over the stair banister.... But if there's someone on the job that makes me feel that way, they don't see day 2. Looking at another thread (do you love your job or just do the work (or something like that)) and mindful of the times I've said, sod this or this ain't worth the pain/effort, the answer is yes I do. I've been putting some pics together in a slide show for the website and looking at the jobs, remembering the challenge, thinking of the sense of achievement, yes I love it. It's just an observation, and perhaps a sad consequence of open forums, but I think you might have lost 'the popular vote' over the running to the chipper line which seems to have dominated the (more passionate) responses to the detriment of (what I think) might be the deeper question of "why don't people seem to want to graft fair."

You can't please all the people all the time!

I get what you saying and yes I suppose that is exactly what I was trying to get over.

You need 3 things to be a good worker; skills, knowledge and attitude. You can teach skills and knowledge so long as you've got the right attitude.

I think your born a grafter, you can't teach someone that. I know I work harder than the guys I work with and I don't expect them to keep up, but I at least like them to try!

Lead by example, be consistent, take pride in everything you do.