Is arb work hard work?

Horatio

+1

If arb was football and you saw Rooney walking about most of the game you would Boo him off the pitch.

Maybe I am unfair in expecting him to run back from the chipper but guess

If he don't like it then there are loads of you lot who will have him.

I sure as damit ain't the only one who WANTS to jog back from the chipper showing I wanna work, get on and get home.

Hell even if it's 5 mins early, that 5 mins extra with my family and for what a bit of sweat from a gentle jog back from the chipper. Hardly difficult.

It's called work for a reason.

I can't disagree with any of your points here, and we've gone from running back from the chipper to a gentle jog, which is far more reasonable ;). I'm just jealous that I can't even manage a gentle jog anywhere these days.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, a quick hypothetical if I may:

You've been riding your groundy hard since 7am, running jumping and dancing back and forth from the chipper. Around 3pm YOU have an accident climbing. You really expect your lad to be able to rescue you safely and quickly? Good luck with that.

I get most of your points but there is absolutely no way in the world I would expect anyone to "run back" on site. If you are having to run then there is not enough time quoted to complete the job in a safe and stress free manner.

Run back from the chipper?

Gentle jog! No frickin' way! What do they earn?

I think you guys are missing my point , it not just the running back from the chipper!

It's the fact that there seem to be no younger lad that wanna work hard and I seem to struggle to find anyone that want to work hard.

I am sure they are out there just haven't met him yet!

I was under the impression that arb work is proper graft.

I haven't read the whole 14 pages but the running back from the chipper comment says it all; young, want to go like mad, think that constitutes hard work. The most efficient cutters I've ever seen are in their mid 40's, plod along comfortably and can drop, limb and convert sticks faster than a youth can blink an eye. It's only what you call proper graft if it's hectic and poorly planned, rushed and not enjoyed.

Slow is smooth and smooth is fast. :sneaky2::001_smile:

Edited by TimberCutterDartmoor

Now read it all.

Is it really to much to ask for a bit of urgency.

Yes, it is! Why the urgency all the time? Are you thinking that's the only way you'll make a buck?!

Horatio, a man with very similar thoughts to my own!! If your not working as hard as possible,your simply not working.

Absolute crap. You young'uns :001_rolleyes:

Back to your original post and ALL THE POINTS RAISED I'd agree with you. I'm fortunate enough to not have to work to hard. But when I do, I make sure they know who's still leading by example.

:lol:

just started a three day a week welding job, boss man said to me what hed expect in a day, I said I,ll do what I do if your not happy I,ll feck off.

hmm want me six days a week now, pacing ones self is the way to go.

cant help some people!

:thumbup1:

This thread is madness...

You employ some one (probably on a day rate) and expect them to work in the same way as you would (as a business owner?)

If they are just branch luggers why would you expect them to jog back? that doesn't sound lik every safe and efficient working.

Through experience you get to the point when you work hard and efficiently, as an employer you need to encourage good hard work without treating them as dogs. If your expectations are unreasonable then you are never going to find the golden goose.

Its a physically tough job and steady pace wins over rushing around probably mmaking mistakes.

I think the op thinks paying minimum wage for hard graft demands 110% lol.

Im sure if the op pays his labour what he gets then I'm sure they would moonwalk back and forth.

In the real world where there are no unicorns and care bears good guys don't come cheap, I expect a steady pace of work with little rests and an acceptable amount per drag. If someone picks up a girly pile they get whipped, if someone is unusually slow or i hear i love you to.... they get whipped.

If the guys work hard to finish the job and you put another one on top without an incentive your a pisstaking boss, My lads get looked after, they work hard they get rewarded.

We have a finite amount of energy per week. one hard day makes the next slower and so on. Manage your work better and the easy days follow the hard.

Any way since i brought a muck truck the lads have upped their game since i said heres your new replacement, it carries twice as much, cost £5 a day on fuel and never moans or fatigues haha....

I think the OP could start a new trend...

Builders Labourers running around sites with wheelbarrows, Removal men running back into the house to fetch the next box, Postmen running from door to door, shop assistants running down the aisle to restack the shelves...

Run Forrest Run!

sod the workers get a loader with a bmg,I never have to whinge about the worker not running to/from the chipper. Seriously.Forget about trying to employ 18 year olds .Stick to older workers 40 plus.they seem to be more grounded

answer to the original question.Yes but not if your smart.