Is arb work hard work?

Horatio

This is me having a moan! I own a small arb company and use 2 subbies one is over 50 and one is over 40 years old. The 50 year old work really well but can't manage a full weeks graft, fair enough. The 40 year old is ok.

I have tried half a dozen college "boys" and all have been utterly unless.

I do not expect them to know everything or anything. What I want them to do is sweat!

Drag more than one branch at a time.

Run back from the chipper.

Realise there is always something to do, rake up, fill up saws, clear ropes etc....

Now I can't be the only one who wants to do a good days work and get home before tea time, it's all quoted work so the sooner the job is done the sooner it's home time.

I was and still am really eager to get on and work my a$$ off.

How do you guys get on, hope you have better bloke than the ones that seem to grace my yard, rant over.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Walking back from the chipper is a waste of time, I am not expecting them to do a Usian Bolt but a gentle jog back rather than a head down casual wander back.

The bloke I worked for previous would give me the hair drier treatment if I did a little walk, rightly so I think!

I quote right, I pay well and expect what I pay for.

There are groundies and then there are groundies. The branch draggers should have to make up for there inexperience with sweat and hard graft.

With regards to running back from the chipper.... I wouldnt be happy with my employer if they expected me to run back.

If im the groundie for the day, i do however run back from the chipper, but because i choose to, mainly to check on how the the climber is, cant help it, just habit,

Even take a glance up at the tree inbetween each clump of chipping if they are in view,