Project 6x6

aspenarb

51 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

There was a (breakers?)yard just off the A286  by West Dean that had a couple of Thorneycroft nubian fire tenders for ages, these too had the B81, and must have been in your locale.

Think that was Henry Potters yard . Up past the " football pitch on the slope " He does up old Landies now . 

6 hours ago, openspaceman said:

Beware the fuel lines having corroded. Like most things being used keeps problems at bay  but at 3MPG it works out expensive, especially if the fuel lines leak.

Catweazel I never intended running theStalwart as a petrol, just need to get it running and on to the low loader. That straight eight RR  is coming out and a 210 bhp 6bt cummins is going in. There have been a few diesel conversions done on these for the military by AF Budge using the Perkins Phaser, really need to go find one and take a few snaps for some ideas.

Bob

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, aspenarb said:

Catweazel I never intended running theStalwart as a petrol, just need to get it running and on to the low loader. That straight eight RR  is coming out and a 210 bhp 6bt cummins is going in. There have been a few diesel conversions done on these for the military by AF Budge using the Perkins Phaser, really need to go find one and take a few snaps for some ideas.

Bob

I imagined you would have a cunning plan, my comments remain the same, if it has been sitting for a while the steel fuel pipes may have rotted .

Also the B81 max power was at 3750 RPM from a bit of googling the 6BT is redlined at 2600. This is why the aussies put a slim (sun and annulus I think) step up between the diesel and standard gear train.

Has yours still got the swim jets and gearboxes? Most were removed before being cast.

23 hours ago, openspaceman said:

Also the B81 max power was at 3750 RPM from a bit of googling the 6BT is redlined at 2600. This is why the aussies put a slim (sun and annulus I think) step up between the diesel and standard gear train.

Has yours still got the swim jets and gearboxes? Most were removed before being cast.

Yes it has all the swim gear, I have smoked this thing about and its a horrible thing to drive. The step up box is something I need to research, there are plenty of references on the net about them but nothing factual . I have the 6BT ready for it but may go with the V555 cummins instead because the pics I have seen on the net show the engine snuggly under the jet drive units whereas the height of the 6bt may be making hard work of it. Obviously not a problem with the swim gear removed but I am not doing that

V8 cummins

VAojSGAS.jpg

Something I need to do

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, aspenarb said:

Yes it has all the swim gear, I have smoked this thing about and its a horrible thing to drive. The step up box is something I need to research, there are plenty of references on the net about them but nothing factual . I have the 6BT ready for it but may go with the V555 cummins instead because the pics I have seen on the net show the engine snuggly under the jet drive units whereas the height of the 6bt may be making hard work of it. Obviously not a problem with the swim gear removed but I am not doing that

V8 cummins

VAojSGAS.jpg

Something I need to do

SHIT WE’RE TAKING ON WATER!!!!!