Quad Timber Trailer

Ashes_Firewood

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing I would be worried about is how much your quad will hold back!! if you get stuck you dig a few holes no big deal!! if the loaded trailer starts to push you bad things can happen. I have made a couple of trailers for the woods Pulled with a Kodiak 400 and the first one I made was a 60/40 split for the axle pivot point which put a good bit of weight on the quad to aid with traction for pulling and holding back the trailer on a slope. I had a few brown trouser moments on steep ground so I scrapped the trailer and made one with over run brakes on front axle and the quad (polaris 800) can take out a lot of timber on quite steep ground. the extra tongue weight also caused problems with the polaris as it had independent suspension on the back I bought a leaf spring arrangement to help and the set up now works very well. But I'm still ready to bail if need be!! Know the limits of the bike and trailer and don't take chances!!

IMG_1197.jpg.bb2e8dff6a15469a9495567f6b93ad6e.jpg

IMG_1189.jpg.b33d01001b4c92edaaee818a0c1885ce.jpg

IMG_1186.jpg.c0d1b512cb287cd6894fdd747a02a9e5.jpg

I use my quad, a Yamaha Kodiak 400, with an stein arbor trolley behind it. We adapted the draw bar to fit the tow hitch. In one day we extracted well over ten ton through a boggy site. Kept the trolley the same as new other than the draw bar.

But.... The maximum you can load on the arb trolley is 500kg. And it struggles sometimes. I have towed my chipper in to some pretty boggy sites, mud up to the axles of both machines. But I got out using my winch on the quad. Not a speedy process at all. I think you'd want a bigger machine to tow that trailer with anything decent in it.

I often find their isn't enough weight to the machine to put the power in to the ground and I just spin the wheels. I get another bloke on the bike and it might shift.

If you are set on a quad get an awesome winch. Mine is okay for what I do but it's not that powerful and it's incredibly slow.

No, not bought quad yet, still in the stages of working out what I need for what I want to be doing. I have had a look at various options, just atv and trailer seemed the cheaper start up option for me.

Nice set up Callum, and I take your point that it's not necessarily just about what weight you can get moving but about what you can stop moving when you need it to.

Can get my hands on a Arctic cat 400cc but looks like something bigger maybe necessary.

Out of interest how do you guys without a crane handle stacking logs, do you just stack by hand or you got any other means of stacking?