Husqvarna 435e or Stihl ms231 cbe?

adam_coverdale

The 231 is basically a 251 with a smaller engine, and will suffer from that regarding weight. Apart from that I don't know much about it, as I don't really care,

The 435 has a very good reputation for what it is (a relatively cheap consumer saw), but I wouldn't want that one either.

If you just occationally cut small wood, both will of course do the job - that is what they are designed for!

I have a Stihl 026 and I recently picked up an ms250 from a friend. My understanding is that Stihl use even numbers are for pro saws and odd numbers for domestic. The relatively new ms 250 was quite a lot slower at cutting than my > 10 year old 026. I would in general pay the bit extra for a pro saw if your budget can stretch since it will be quicker cutting, better power to weight ratio and longer lasting. If you are only going to use the saw for a few hours per month and you are not in a hurry, then the cheaper saws would be ok. When I log up a trailer load of wood, approx 4 cubic metres, my weapon of choice is my trusty Stihl 046 with an 18 inch bar and that zooms through the logs, it all depends how fast/big you want/need to cut and how far the budget will stretch. I have only ever used Stihl saws.

On the whole that may be. But by the same reckoning, that would make the MS 170D a pro saw and the MS 241 C-M a domestic saw.

Look back the the earlier models- Stihl have just added an extra number, the '1' in '241' designating the next generation. Odd/even still stands AFAIK.

I started my company with a borrowed 023, so have a soft spot for them. That said, I would go the whole hog and go for an MS251. Make sure you stick to Picco Micro chain, preferably in 1.1mm gauge. That will fly.

As mentioned, stay away from the C-BE models. Don't know much about the catalytic convertor, I assume it's just more to go wrong. The B is quick chain tensioning, which works as well as a sieve does to drink from. The E is Ergostart which works well, but unless you have a disability you really don't need it.

As doobin said, I should have said the odd/even number thing is on the first 2 main non zero digits so 230 and 231 domestic whereas 260 and 261 are pro. My 250 has one of those "easy" chain tensioners a thing that you turn by hand on the side and it isn't as good as the old style screwdriver type tensioner. It doesn't feel very robust and I think that it is harder to tension the chain with one of those.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

I have a Stihl 026 and I recently picked up an ms250 from a friend. My understanding is that Stihl use even numbers are for pro saws and odd numbers for domestic. .....

That is often true, but still far from always - the same is the case with the so called "handle color "rule".

Bottom line is that none of the "rules" are even close to reliable - so you really have to know!