Mycorrhizal fairy rings

David Humphries

An almost complete circle of mycorrhizal Amanita sp that are 'tethered' to the peripheral roots of this lime

a few fruiting bodies within the circle but mostly forming around the circumference.

Would be interesting to see if any other species of saprophytic or mycorrhizal species ever cross within the ring.........or not.

IMG_6194.jpg.190302b5aca7bb5771bef1ded29aef8f.jpg

IMG_6196.jpg.72bc03d62d1702b9f6c4833316461858.jpg

IMG_6197.jpg.da39ff406e84629873cc843dda8fc36d.jpg

IMG_6201.jpg.09ae4d8db7b03664cd59d7cf1645c38d.jpg

nwm.jpg.12defd223859e4cb0ee38f050cc182d2.jpg

Newm.jpg.1dddf6720b1e09d5b5c5376cf222676d.jpg

I find that quite fascinating David.

I find it hard to quell the impulse to drag the compressor and airspade up here to investigate the phenomenon further

Although that would probably destroy the soil communities :001_rolleyes::blushing:

Supposedly there's documented evidence from France of a fairy ring of

Clitocybe geotropa that's over half a mile in diameter and possibly 7-800 years old.

I am not well read on the subject David, but find this thread rather intriguing, so much going on under the surface, with comparatively little sign above ground.

Excuse my naïve question, But I have seen on occasion the grass seems to be more lush in the circumference line of some of these rings, can you enlighten me?

Perhaps there's a difference between non-mycorrhizal rings and mycorrhizal rings in terms of the effect on above ground vegetation.

With the non-mycorrhizal species they may be starving the grass/vegetation within the ring by stripping the nutrients as the mass of mycelium expands outwards. This probably leaves a noticeable ring of grass where the nutrients haven't been used up yet.

Whereas the mycorrhizal species would be in symbiosis with the roots of plants getting carbohydrates etc from the roots of its host, leaving some nutrients in the rhizosphere.

Capisce?

Not entirely sure I do :biggrin:

Perhaps there's a difference between non-mycorrhizal rings and mycorrhizal rings in terms of the effect on above ground vegetation.

With the non-mycorrhizal species they may be starving the grass/vegetation within the ring by stripping the nutrients as the mass of mycelium expands outwards. This probably leaves a noticeable ring of grass where the nutrients haven't been used up yet.

Whereas the mycorrhizal species would be in symbiosis with the roots of plants getting carbohydrates etc from the roots of its host, leaving some nutrients in the rhizosphere.

Capisce?

I get that, it could not have been explained it more efficiently, thank you.:001_smile:

Capisce?

That does make perfect sense, would explain how the fusarium patch (M. nivale) takes effect on sports turf, and a few others for that matter

On another note, I once recently found a large colonisation of mycelium in a spike hole down 6 inches in a golf green, no idea what it was, I doubt it would be M. nivale with how deep it was, but I could be wrong

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App