I priced it..but someone else got it!

arbogrunt

Ive just done some stalking on google maps to see the tree in its previous glory, "The pole next door" looks hideous in its freshly pruned state!

However the lovely little oak tree in a pot at the garden centre will continue to be planted in a stupid place. If people actually researched or asked trusted professional opinion, Half urban tree work wouldn't exist.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

no mate, I didn't do the LA fitness job. The tree wasn't TPO'd..but that wouldn't make any difference around here...nobody every gets pulled up by LA tree officers for bad pruning. As has been said, I've seen much worse pruning. I just find it mildly amusing. Lets face if fella's THIS is the way to make money out of tree work...I could smash half a dozen of these out a day...but alas, its just not my style :(

Out of interest what were the clients objectives in getting this tree worked on, and how does the job that was done compare. I realise that 12 months from now it'll look like an afro, but the company who I work for carrys out similar work from time to time, due to the clients request. I have only worked for this company so its kind of how I've learnt things.

That is what is known as a s##t job why is it there are so many people/ company's out there that call themselves tree surgeons or arborists yet they allways do a sub standard job if they are going to call themselves arborist then be one, anyone can lop a tree like that and say look at me I'm a tree surgeon! There is so much sub standard tree work I have seen on my travels across the uk i dread to think, alot of the timeouts down to lack of experience, constant pressure from bosses who have under priced and tenders that are so tight on budgets speed is of the essence! Quantity is the key point not quality and alot of trees I have seen on my travels have been done by approved contractors! I personally wouldn't call them approved going by some of the trees I have seen done but then you get some out there who do an excellent job! Private clients need education take time to talk through the ins and outs of the operation intended and explain the benefits to the tree and long term management!

That is what is known as a s##t job why is it there are so many people/ company's out there that call themselves tree surgeons or arborists yet they allways do a sub standard job if they are going to call themselves arborist then be one, anyone can lop a tree like that and say look at me I'm a tree surgeon! There is so much sub standard tree work I have seen on my travels across the uk i dread to think, alot of the timeouts down to lack of experience, constant pressure from bosses who have under priced and tenders that are so tight on budgets speed is of the essence! Quantity is the key point not quality and alot of trees I have seen on my travels have been done by approved contractors! I personally wouldn't call them approved going by some of the trees I have seen done but then you get some out there who do an excellent job! Private clients need education take time to talk through the ins and outs of the operation intended and explain the benefits to the tree and long term management!

So L200, what would your reccomandation be? It looks to be at minimum a 40% reduction, which I know is frowned upon. Yet sometimes clients look out of their windows and think "Gosh, that tree suddenly got big!". They have an idea in mind of what size they want it, and they are happy to pay someone to make it so. In a front garden scenario I can fully understand why a bigger tree would be an issue. Its a given that that oak is never going to achieve veteran status. If the company had any sense he should explain to them what to expect (i.e. the necessity for regular pruning to come), and as long as the client is made aware and happy to accept those circumstances then I don't understand the problem.

It'd be nice to work on large estate trees where space is abundant and sympathetic reductions are always convenient, yet in my experience of mostly domestic work in small to mid sized gardens, sometimes it is necessary.

I should state that I'm not picking an argument here, but I've only worked for one company and this kind of job is what we do. I'm merely hoping to gain a little insight and education of a practical alternative.

Apologies O.P, didn't mean to derail.

It'd be nice to work on large estate trees where space is abundant and sympathetic reductions are always convenient, yet in my experience of mostly domestic work in small to mid sized gardens, sometimes it is necessary.

So target pruning goes out the window in domestic arb??