delivery trailers????

RDB logs

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If delivering firewood that you are being paid for then that is classified as Hire and reward, you DO need a tacho.

Thats not hire or reward. You would not need hire or reward insurance just bog standard business use.

Hire or reward would be if I moved your logs for you & charged you a fee for doing so. Moving my own goods is not hire or reward.

Also wont the minimal mileage exemption apply unless you are delivering logs miles away (I think its 30miles).

An interesting thread this one, but let's get back to the original question...

I've got an 8'x4' 2-axle Indespension trailer with mesh sides - the base trailer is essentially a plant trailer, with the meshes as an add-on they sell for it. It's excellent - light, tows well, great 'follow' on corners, and holds exactly 4m3. As long as it's well-seasoned hardwood, with 4m3 in the trailer the whole thing comes in under the 1800kg limit for my smaller towing vehicle.

What bothers me about it - and about a lot of the trailers in the market - is the noseweight. Many towing vehicles can take a max of 75kg, and even our Defender has a maximum of, I think, 150kg. The A-frame towbar on the trailer would account for that 75kg quite nicely, but like many trailers the axles are not central, they're slightly rearwards of centre.

The upshot is that if I load it evenly, the noseweight is too high - so I have to load it carefully with the heavier logs to the rear. That takes time and planning. As I unload at various drop-offs I have to re-arrange the logs each time to keep the noseweight in range.

So... my question is (and my steer to the OP to look out for this, too): are there any trailers in the market that don't have this axles-to-the-rear feature, and hence don't overload the towbar when the trailer is evenly loaded? Or do folks ignore the problem? Or is there another answer (like "always use a vehicle which takes a massive noseweight")?

I know the noseweight is essential to avoid snaking, but it would be nice to have something that I can load evenly to any depth without it increasing the noseweight!

I use a car transporter trailer with sides added on and a mesh on the ramps pulled by a Defender 110. no dramas with being overweight unless you load it right up. Take the mesh sides off and it's ideal for moving log lengths from the forestry as you can get a good load on without it being high.

Here's some thing to help clarify,

http://www.ntta.co.uk/images/tachograph_chart_l.gif

The grey box is an exception that may apply to work days but IMHO not to log deliveries.

One of the exceptions on the .gov site that may be applicable, depends on how you classify log delivery (supplying solid fuel)

vehicles used by agricultural, horticultural, forestry, farming or fishery businesses for carrying goods within 100km of where the business is based

I know from personal experience that my local planning dept class log production as an industrial process and neither forestry or agricultural - much to my disappointment & expense.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

hi please correct me if i am incorrect but i dont think you need to use a taco if the towing vehicle has rear seats and windows e.g landrover county,showgun or diahatsui fourtrack as these are classed as passenger vehicles and not commercials.thanks chris.:confused1:

You do.

If you had a say BMW 5 series saloon and pulled a trailer for hire and reward with a total train weight fully loaded to the trailers capacity of over 3.5 tons including the BMW you are in Tacho territory. Ironically this was exactly the scenario that the Police used when explaining the regs to me.

A

Thats not hire or reward. You would not need hire or reward insurance just bog standard business use.

Hire or reward would be if I moved your logs for you & charged you a fee for doing so. Moving my own goods is not hire or reward.

Also wont the minimal mileage exemption apply unless you are delivering logs miles away (I think its 30miles).

Hire or reward is anything you get a pecuniary benefit from, shifting chip or logs from a punters property or delivering stoves, makes no difference

There is no such thing as hire or reward insurance per se, commercial insurance is the use of a vehicle for hire or reward, third party or own goods

So if I'm towing chipper (1.5 tonne) on back if my 130 and I'm within 30 miles if base TW I do t need a tacvo?

As I understand it if the driver of the 130 is operating the chipper as his main job then no you don't, but otherwise you do. Be a good idea to talk to Vosa about that one though. Over 30 miles then you do anyway.

A