What wages do you guy think is fair for a groundsman /trainee climber

Bentonarb

I think that was very reasonable for a new guy £60 pd .. £300 pw including paid hols !! you will definitely get someone good for that, there's guys down my neck of the woods who are TL's earning £7.50 - £8 ph (utility arb). Like someone else said, I would be more concerned that he went off in a huff, do you really want to take on someone who storms off at the drop of a hat ? .. So what if he has 4 tickets there are plenty of others that have the same. You need someone who is willing to listen and learn from you, more important than NPTC units at this stage. I would avoid him like the plague.

Good luck I'm sure you will find someone suitable for that kind of package 👍

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ppe, employers contributions, holiday. Makes for. £80-90 a day self employed but with no risk. Sounds a bit naive tbh! Though fellas, I can't remember who said it but age should never be a factor in deciding a wage. Only skill, work ethic and how well they fit within the existing team.

Is it normal to pay by the day, do you offer a contract etc. ? I think a lot would depend on how long a day is in work terms. I know the job's not done till it's all cleaned up and sorted but £55 to £60 doesn't come to minimum wage if you are doing 10 hours a day so you could be doing something which is basically illegal.

Morning ,

Just trying to gauge wages for groundsman / trainee climber .

We had a guy on trial yesterday and he was a good bloke worked hard etc .

He has tickets but no Experince at all in tree work . I was chatting about wages and said I would give him £55-60 a day employed with paid holiday PPE etc for the first year and then I would review it.

He said that he wanted at least £80 a day and I told him no way as he was not worth that at the moment.

He stormed off and went home telling me I was unreasonable .

Am I ?

Be honest

You're not unreasonable. Quali's are worth squat if the person can't apply themselves properly in the task.

A qualified person without experience will put your saws in the ground, put dirt through your chipper and generally be unproductive for the first few months.

They will also be a safety issue until they gel with the rest of the crew.

Forget him. Do you really want that attitude coming into your company?

Sent with my iPhone from me, to you!