£100/cubic metre softwood!!!

davetaz

On my travels have come across a firewood supplier selling split softwood in a bulk bag (non-vented) for £50.

I measured the bag and it is 80cm x 80cm x 80cm.......which in my books works out at 0.512 cubic metre!!!

So this equates to £100 for slightly over 1 cubic metre (if the bags were full!)

This seems rather on the pricey side..... any opinions?

I quite frequently check what people sell for. The cheapest for a bulk bag is 30 quid for hardwood not "tree surgeons waste" ie bought in roadside prices. Up to 90 quid a bulk bag. Tried selling some net bags to the local coal man and they can get net bags loads for £1.15 albeit feels rather wet but money talks.

At 50 pounds a bulk bag it seems cheap but then when you add it up to work out the cubic metre price it is obscene really.

Edited by detritus21
very bad spelling

I know a lot of people whoi sell at £50 a bulk bag including me 85x85x85

I am having to up production for next year.

I sat down and worked out costings for producing logs from "Tree Surgery" waste and if it sold for less than £50 a bag it is not worth selling.

Tree surgery waste is far more time consuming, labour intensive and consumable expensive than producing logs from bought in cordwood and processor, two very different markets

There does seem to be a huge variation in prices and sometimes quality within a relatively small area

But there again I guess most suppliers have regular customers who just keep coming back and don't shop around for a better deal

May be as the recession hits more and more people there will be a bit more competition pricewise...... who knows?

There does seem to be a huge variation in prices and sometimes quality within a relatively small area

But there again I guess most suppliers have regular customers who just keep coming back and don't shop around for a better deal

May be as the recession hits more and more people there will be a bit more competition pricewise...... who knows?

Yes this is true, less than 1/4 mile from me theres a lad who has lost his job, so he has been selling willow that his father in law got paid to pollard on his farm, hence being able to sell half price as i buy my wood, but what got me was then after selling all his wood to my customers, he had the cheak to come and ask where i got my wood as he has ran out:mad1:

The bulk / builders bag is the greatest firewood trick of the 21st century, I know many people who sell bulk bags at £50 including me, and like you say when you do the maths it is only 1/2 a cubic meter, looks a lot more though does'nt it.:001_tongue: How ever mine is Kiln dried so I don't feel guilty.