hedgelaying..is it it worth it

finch

is hedgelaying worth doing in terms of money, i meant, what do you end up with after buyining/time cutting stakes, fuel etc.

I know the price is dependent on different things, and I would imagene the vast majority is from farmers.

just looking for advise really as im looking at doing it as well as the tree work.

cheers

It's not a easy way to make money, but I still like to do a couple of hedges a year. I look at it as a bit of time out from stump grinding and tree work, it helps to clear your mind from every day stresses and it's nice to look at a well laid hedge at the end.

i lay hedges because i enjoy it. i can go down into woods all on my jack and collect my stakes and binders. stopping on a tree stump for a drink and a fag. then there is the pleasure to see a hedge all gappy out of control to bring it back to a nice formed hedge which will last for years. s good for nesting birds for insect life good windbreak and stockproof fruit for birds or humans in the autumn.

what more reasons do you need to lay a hedge instead of a flail or grub it out.

as for price 15 year old hedge £10.50 a mtr to include stakes and binders plus pile up brash to take away by the owner of hedge extra if wanting it cleared. worse the hedge more it cost as less mtr per day.

should be able to do 20mtrs a day on a good hedge.

learn the craft and be one of many wanting to lay hedges.

i knew a chap who was a master of hedgelaying and work followed him as i found out the more you do the more hedges find you but he earned £50k a year for laying hedges. but he was one of the very few who earn this sum. its a goal to reach by the time you are in your seventies. but yes the money is nice but i do it because i enoy it so i help with a group laying hedges get a free pint a bit of fuel and a lunch at christmas which is enjoyable.

make your mind up. were are you in country if you can give me pointers can let you know of groups local to you who teach hedgelaying. once bitten by blackthorn there is no cure you will want to cary on doing it. i love hedgelaying.

Edited by hedgesparrow

I looked into getting a 20m hedge layed. It seems to be £10 - £15 per meter (south Derbyshire) and they aim to do around 10m a day.

It's a course I would like to do.

If its a reasonable hedge 20m should be a steady days work for one man and then half day/day to burn up the brash, Iusually charge between £7 and £12 per metre with stakes depending on size roughness of hedge and distance for travelling

i knew a chap who was a master of hedgelaying and work followed him as i found out the more you do the more hedges find you but he earned £50k a year for laying hedges.

Im not doubting you chap but considering hedgelaying can only be done between September and March your master hedgelayer will have to be laying 15 metres of hedge a day at £15 per metre 7 days a week for the whole 7 months to earn £50k a year. :confused1:

is hedgelaying worth doing in terms of money, i meant, what do you end up with after buyining/time cutting stakes, fuel etc.

I know the price is dependent on different things, and I would imagene the vast majority is from farmers.

just looking for advise really as im looking at doing it as well as the tree work.

cheers

YES but you wont become Rockaa fella

but in 10 20 30 50 years to come youd be able to say I did that hedge,

work will be around for years, unless of course some bugger digs up ya hegde

do a few contests as well, surprising how many landowners pop to see them get work from that.

Once happy do a few county shows like HS and I do ,

1 good fun & meet plenty of interesting(or is that strange:001_tongue:/interested people

2 again surprising how many landowners go to the proper county shows

2a shows normaly over a weekend and you HAVE to stay and guard your hedge armed with a beer and a fire going it while having a laugh with the other stands

wow what a link there to Dorset show this weekend now wheres me fire pit

Welcome to the Show | Dorset County Show

& plus all of what HS has said.

Job satisfaction 100%:thumbup: (yes I know each to there own)