adopt a war grave

hedgesparrow

in my other post hidden in weeds i said i found some headstones of VC holders from a hundred years ago. i was given the link on the thread re contacting the comenwelth war graves comision/ i contacted them and the run a adopt a war grave. you look after the war grave or graves keeping it tidy. if anyone is interested in giving some time to look after any in your area they are looking for help on a volenteer basis. please find the link.

Kerry Groves

Communications & Enquiries Administrator

Commonwealth War Graves Commission

Jenton Road, Sydenham, Leamington Spa, Warwickshire, CV31 1XS, United Kingdom

Tel: +44 (0) 1926 330137 | Ext: 2573 | Direct: +44 (0) 1926 456573 | Fax: +44 (0) 1926 456595 | Website: CWGC - Homepage

The Commission’s Community Involvement Scheme ‘Adopt a War Grave’

Thank you for your recent enquiry about voluntary opportunities with the Commission. The Commission welcomes the support and help from local communities who may wish to ‘Adopt a War Grave’ in their local churchyard or cemetery.

To help you better understand the details of our scheme; please take a look at the attached Information Sheet called ‘The Work of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission in the United Kingdom’ which provides some background information so that any offer of assistance from you can be based in that context.

In many of these cemeteries and churchyards the Commission does not have any more right of access than anyone else or any authority to carry out maintenance in its own right. Any work we undertake has to be agreed by a third party (usually the controlling authority) and we have to operate within any constraints they wish to place upon that work. Most of our work is undertaken by contractors and we have numerous agreements with local councils and churches for the maintenance of the war graves.

In addition to the routine maintenance carried out by contractors all the headstones are cleaned by Commission staff every two to three years and the fabric of the headstones are checked every three to four years to ensure that commemorations of the casualties are still legible. We also have an on-going renovation programme where sites are earmarked for improvement by Commission staff provided that subsequent on-going maintenance can be assured. In most sites where we have a commitment much depends upon the resources that the controlling authority can bring to bear. Whilst the Commission has resources to direct towards war graves it cannot take on responsibility for maintaining the whole site.

The following categories best describes how you can help us to care for the war graves depending on your interest and also how much time you can spare:

1. Cleaning Headstones

(*permission is required from the cemetery/church authority*)

We treat our headstone markers with a masonry biocide every two to three years which should help keep them free from Algae and lichen between treatments however a lot depends upon the location of the marker. If under heavy tree cover we usually find that the marker will “green up” more quickly than if located in the open air and often those situated under tree cover also suffer from extensive soil splash because ground cover cannot establish easily in such shady conditions.

If the headstone marker would benefit from an additional clean then a brush down with water and a soft bristle brush is usually effective. Please do not use bleach or any other product on the headstone as this can cause damage to the structure of the stone.

2. Clearing the immediate grave areas

(*permission is required from the cemetery/church authority*)

We try to achieve a standard of level turf cut to around 2 to 4 inches around the war graves and many cemeteries and churchyards will work to this specification when they undertake their monthly cut. Due to the nature of a lot of these sites, we find that the immediate grave areas can become overgrown during the growing season. If you feel able to clear the vegetation without risk to yourself, by checking the area and ensuring suitable clothing and footwear (including hand protection) is worn, then you will be helping to keep the area under control in between our maintenance visits. It is important to note that the planting of scattered graves is not encouraged by us as this can impede upon the on-going maintenance of scattered war graves.

3. Commemorating at Remembrance Time

Unfortunately the Commission is unable to help with any costs associated with tokens of remembrance.

If you decide you would like to help with the cleaning of headstones or clearing the immediate grave areas then it will be necessary to inform the church or cemetery authorities of your involvement with the scheme prior to carrying out any work asking if there are any specific instructions relating to Health and Safety and to ensure that they have no problems with what is proposed and we will provide you with the relevant contact details.

I must stress that any work you undertake is entirely at your own risk and please also consider that cemeteries and churchyards can often be lonely places; and you may not see another person during the course of your visit.

What to do next:

If you would like to proceed, please contact me with an idea of your intended level of involvement (1-3 as above) as this will enable us to identify the sites in your area best suited to your offer of help and by all means let me know if you have a specific interest in a cemetery or churchyard or war grave in particular.

We will provide you with details of the war graves, a plan of the site and contact details for the church or cemetery authorities (if required). We are not expecting you to help with all the war graves in the site, you may wish to choose one grave or small groups of graves as you see fit.

Following confirmation of your interest your details will be added to our Community Involvement/Adopt a War Grave Database and we will send you a yearly questionnaire asking for confirmation of your on-going involvement with the scheme.

I think I have covered most issues but if you have any queries on any of the points I have made, please do not hesitate to contact me.

hope this is of interest. just waiting back of some in my area i can go and look after. they gave there all so if i can give just a hour of my time to look after there resting place its not a lot to do