30 ft jetty

welsh wood

what about greenheart piles?

i was involved in a job a couple of years ago renewing the sea defence in tywyn. all the piles were salvaged (and still bloody solid and heavy) give barrett timber in carmarthen a call, from what i remember he was after about £20 each for them

Thanks guys, just been to a site visit and as always nothing easy, can't get any plant down to where its going but I can get an excavator to the side of the lake and now the customer now wants it a lot longer with a hammer head at the end. Now you ask yourself how is he going to drive the piles with no mechanical help, so as the project is basically a 6ft wide walkway onto the lake what are your opinions of building floating pontoons built around blocks of polystyrene and bolting to one another. Will decide on the timber when i decide how to build it, by the way the water in the lake is very still and covered ib lilly pads.

Gethin.

Alder is good, but it has to be submerged, if it is out of the water it will only last 6 months.

If it is available oak would be my first choice, but heartwood only and cleft not sawn. Larch or Sitka in roundwood poles would be my second choice.

Happy wading

If it has to be locally grown, I would agree with oak heartwood, unless you have robinia in the area which will last even better.

A floating pontoon would be a lot easier to do, either using polystyrene or recycled 25l plastic drums. The pontoons at Danson park in Welling are made this way and the drums have now outlasted their second set of plywood boarding! These pontoons are purely functional, so the drums aren't hidden. Each section is 8' long, made up of three rectangular frames - the central one 4' wide (the deck, with an 8'x4' plywood sheet on) and another along each side, made just too narrow for the drums to slip through. Three drums go on each side and the deck is dropped on, the drums then get wedged in the gap by the weight of the deck and it's impossible to push them out downwards as you can't push hard enough, so the whole thing is secure.

They are very stable - I've rigged the firework display on them each November 5th for the past few years and they barely move, but can be dragged around in trains of 10 or so by a man with a canoe. Use black drums and rather than putting the deck just in the middle, run it right over the top made from locally sourced larch and they would look fine.

Alec