Pruning beech

Paul Barton

You both know exactly what I mean. The topic is timing of tree works in relation to the OPs query about Beech. So if bringing in images - please relate them to the topic rather than invite comments on the standards of work.

By the way Dean. The Gestapo would have simply shot you rather than humourously asking you to stay on track.

And they would have been paid to do so. :sleep1:

Well thats you 2 told.........:001_tongue:

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the way Dean. The Gestapo would have simply shot you rather than humourously asking you to stay on track.

And they would have been paid to do so. :sleep1:

You need to go and do some rec climbing, to get rid of all that pent up tension Antione, maybe a go or two on the zip line.

I knew exactly what you meant mate :001_tongue:

Fantastic stuff, keep it up!

I'm sure that we've all made mistakes when it comes to deciding when & how much we remove from trees if requested to do so by clients or by compulsion on our own trees. Some, but not all, will use observation as a personal tool to affirm what they think they already know. This, I think, can often be difficult if not impossible because we mostly function in a completely different time frame to trees & however much we try to convince ourselves we do understand them somebody one day comes out of the mist with an idea or theory that forces us to reevaluate our stance.

We have, in the past, postulated about how bad non target pruning topping cuts are bad for trees but I'm sure we've all seen many trees that have suffered such approaches but have continued to grow then flourish years after. Similar pruning is often now accepted as retrenchment or veteranisation so long as the wounds are attacked with the saw again to leave a (natural) ragged finish.

Through observation we have come to believe that target pruning is how we should go but how many times have you experienced that the accuracy of these efforts is not as exacting as we'd hope, i think of scots pine & elm in particular. That small V of dead wood tells the tale, not a big deal cos the continued growth means that wall 4 usual does its job eventually! My own observation on willow shows that hard spring pruning generally results in an abundance of reaction growth which rarely dies off completely. The same prescription in late summer has a very different reaction with a greatly lessened volume of growth. This noted, does not however mean the same can necessarily be applied to other species.

We could derive though that dependant on the desired affect the timing of pruning may be important in decision making in the short term.

If reduction pruning is little in volume I'm not convinced that timing plays such a massive role in the long term whatever the species. Whereas heavy pruning can be detrimental whenever it's carried out. Ultimately it's good to evaluate each scenario & possible prescription on the individual merits at any given time, i.e. when the clients asks for work to be carried out. We will then guide/advise them based on the limitation of our personal level of knowledge & ability to access certain areas of the canopy. For instance, I have found many climbers who are greatly challenged when it comes to reaching the outermost branch tips will often over prescribe percentage reductions, carry out unecessary thinning operations & justify it in a very convincing manner.

I think that what I'm trying to say is we should be guarded not to get stuck in certain ways because this could be due to our lack of knowledge rather than our preferred depth of knowledge.

Stay open!

Nod