College or practical training?

SteamedTomatoes

This seems to be the main thing I've gathered from the phone call I've just had with my uncle.

So I guess basically, then, I should do the certificates alone if I want to be doing only physical work all my life, but I should do a course at college if I want to either manage people or advise people?

Would that be a fair way of summing it up?

NO because you may only think you want to ONLY do physical work all your life.

Looking back on my life with few qualifications I'd advise get a college qualification and then aim for continued professional development as you work.

Many entrepreneurial types will profit with no qualifications, those of us with little commercial flair are probably better off being employed and qualifications are a means by which an employer gauges your initial worth.

Theres a whole load of variations between just doing physical work and being a manager.

At some point you may wish to do something that an academic qualification helps with. Personally I have no intention of being a manager however, it is unlikely that I will be running around up large trees for ever. Having the qualifications to do work other than climbing gives more options; surveying, consulting, tree officer etc and yes, being a manager too.

You will find it much harder later on to get on an academic course and complete it. However, with a qualification you can still get practical experience as well.

Hi ST, education is valuable mate. If you want to get into forestry then Newton Rigg College in Cumbria is the place to go, if its arb that you want then Merrist Wood is the place. If you're serious about it then these are the places to go. Of course there are other places to study which too are good, but these are the leaders in their field.

Wow, such a lot of useful advice! Thanks a lot guys! :biggrin:

Hi ST, education is valuable mate. If you want to get into forestry then Newton Rigg College in Cumbria is the place to go, if its arb that you want then Merrist Wood is the place. If you're serious about it then these are the places to go. Of course there are other places to study which too are good, but these are the leaders in their field.

How does Hadlow College compare? That's probably the nearest place to me for these sorts of courses. If I'm going to go to college somewhere this year, it'll need to be near to Pembury, in Kent, Beeston near Nottingham, or Torver, near Coniston in Cumbria. (These are where I have relatives I could stay with.)

(This is me assuming I haven't got time to get accomodation and stuff arranged before term starts)

Otherwise Newton Rigg would probably be my best bet by the sounds of it if I went next year. But by then I'll be 19, so I'll have to pay for the course.

You'll get different answers from different people on this subject but a college education will certainly help should you wish to head over seas at any stage. Many countries require two or three years of college ed such as a diploma as part of the entry requirements. Just something to throw in to the equation.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App