College or practical training?

SteamedTomatoes

Hi all,

So my situation right now is that I'm considering going to Hadlow college or somewhere similar to do a Level 3 Extended Diploma in Forestry and Arboriculture, but I have heard that it may be more appreciated by a potential employer if I do all the relevant chainsaw certificates and stuff and work instead, because apparently 'they don't want someone who's sat on their backside for two years'.

Having done a lot of research on Arbtalk regarding various things related to chainsaws and chainsaw gear, I figured this would be a good place to find out from those who know the real world side of things, so can you guys help me out here?

Which option is more appealing to a potential employer? And which lines of work do they each lead to?

Thanks in advance,

John.

Do not go to Hadlow college on any grounds, they will not deliver a full service.

But yes, A decent college course will teach you above the NPTC level tickets required. most actually use the assessments as the end of year test! But try Capel manor, Merrist wood Riseholme/Bishop Burtonor even Moulton.

Did an nd at myerscough about 6 years ago and it's definitely put me in good stead. You get a bit of the theory and science as well as the practical stuff which I reckon is really useful.

Unless you can get in with a company that has really knowledgeable and enthusiastic blokes that you can learn off then you might struggle to learn some the stuff you'd learn at college.

Having said that though experience is key in this industry and even though someone may have all the tickets and a level 3, odds are if they're fresh out of college they'll not be up to industry speed, so get practical experience wherever you can.

Yes, decent qualifications come in handy if you want to venture into management.

This seems to be the main thing I've gathered from the phone call I've just had with my uncle.

So I guess basically, then, I should do the certificates alone if I want to be doing only physical work all my life, but I should do a course at college if I want to either manage people or advise people?

Would that be a fair way of summing it up?

This seems to be the main thing I've gathered from the phone call I've just had with my uncle.

So I guess basically, then, I should do the certificates alone if I want to be doing only physical work all my life, but I should do a course at college if I want to either manage people or advise people?

Would that be a fair way of summing it up?

Youd also get a better understanding of the whole job. Soil sciences, business management, tree ident to name a couple. Im glad i did mine