Multi Fungi Attack !

David Humphries

Why do you think that Hama? Pic 3 isn't the same as pic 4. In pic 4 it looks to me like Kretz.

Interested in your thoughts of course.

not thoughts, facts, what you see in the photo is the old abscision scar from last years resinaceum brackets, as they are annual and fall off. Dyadeus does an identical thing

Do you mean the black stuff is abscission scars from two Laetiporous brackets?

If so, how come there is a Laetiporous bracket at the top of the stem? Surely that should be shown as an abscission scar as well.

I'm slightly confused but no longer going to kill myself due to poor ID, 'cos I'm intrigued!

not thoughts, facts, what you see in the photo is the old abscision scar from last years resinaceum brackets, as they are annual and fall off. Dyadeus does an identical thing

Do you mean the black stuff is abscission scars from two Laetiporous brackets?

If so, how come there is a Laetiporous bracket at the top of the stem? Surely that should be shown as an abscission scar as well.

I'm slightly confused but no longer going to kill myself due to poor ID, 'cos I'm intrigued!

:001_rolleyes:

:001_rolleyes:

O.K I was being lazy in my reply so I will elaborate.

Laeti is to be expected withing the crown, this is an old pollard after all.

Ganoderma resinaceum in the butt ( it is a butt/root rot) is an annual bracket, meaning it is formed each year (sometimes misses years) and leaves scars on the trunk where the brackets formed.

Bracket scars are vital clues in the diagnosis, and assist greatly in gauging the extent of decay in your case as there are scars between butresses and the new fruiting is occuring between new butresses.

The low even swelling or flare is typical in G. resinaceum rots of Q sp, particularly roburs, and this tree is in trouble, especialy if extensive die back is ocuring within the crown, a sign of root damage/rot.

Resinaceum rots away roots in an intense white rot, and is often resposible for windthrow

Cool, thanks. All makes sense now, and I've learnt something good.

It would be nice to think that the tree will stand for a few more generations but the doubt the council will fell it in two years.

theres no arguments in this case the low swell is indicative of well progressed decay in the upper regeions of the biggest roots, and will mean there is even more going on below ground.

very iffy fungi that one, not to be overlooked.

• 3 weeks later...