Multi Fungi Attack !

David Humphries

could be dave, my brain takes in what it allows, and i pretty much fill in the gaps myself. yours/shigos sounds so much better mate.:001_smile:

Knock yourself out Stevie.

http://www.rngr.net/Publications/neftic/26th-northeastern-forest-tree-improvement-conference-1979/decay-resistant-trees/file

Try and get a copy of Shigos Modern Arboriculture.

Some very good reference material on tree biology and anatomy.

http://www.treesource.co.uk/acatalog/info_228.html

Psedoscleratial plates are better thought of as bubbles or sacks. They are chemical deposits made by the fungi and enclose the area of the substrate they are decaying. By enclosing the area the fungi can alter the conditions within it to favour it. The fungi may dry it out or bring in moisture. They probably also offer some protection from the advancement of other fungal colonies.

I remember reading somewhere that the lines were black because one of the chemicals deposited by the fungi was melanin.

Psedoscleratial plates are better thought of as bubbles or sacks. They are chemical deposits made by the fungi and enclose the area of the substrate they are decaying. By enclosing the area the fungi can alter the conditions within it to favour it. The fungi may dry it out or bring in moisture. They probably also offer some protection from the advancement of other fungal colonies.

I remember reading somewhere that the lines were black because one of the chemicals deposited by the fungi was melanin.

'melanin' is what gives our hair colour, when you loose it you go grey. pointless unrelated hairdressing fact, i am sure frank can back me up on this one:001_smile:

'melanin' is what gives our hair colour, when you loose it you go grey. pointless unrelated hairdressing fact, i am sure frank can back me up on this one:001_smile:

Jeez swb never took you for a hairdresser- is that why you have mentioned the sale of your mog in a few threads- so you can buy a subaru impreza??:001_tongue:

Jeez swb never took you for a hairdresser- is that why you have mentioned the sale of your mog in a few threads- so you can buy a subaru impreza??:001_tongue:

i have had a couple of scoobys actualyy. great cars. but a true hairdresser drives a merc:001_smile:dam the mog is a merc:ohmy:

You ain't wrong. Pick anything living that exhibts a black colouration and you'll find melanin. It's also what gives you a suntan.

BTW nice shots Dave. :D

• 4 months later...