Hawthorn prick

Dean Lofthouse

Did it Tuesday 11:30 am... finished rest of day with arm aching like mad. Woke up 3 am wed it was throbbing. Drove myself to hospital snd they gave me a tetnus and some anti inflammatory. Been taking them for a day and a half and still working. Had hardly any movement at first but now near normal. Just seen all that red patch got me thinking. I’ve an appointment to go back to hosp tomorrow am but was hoping it was better so didnt have to go and could work :o

Edited by swinny

Never knew hawthorns could give anyone that much grief.I had my share of pricks with them and holly brambles roses etc still some thorns from years ago in my fingers .having now tried various different non chainsaw  gloves I've been most impressed with the  Stihl ergo forestry gloves which are very comfy and breathable unlike some others .and offer good protection against getting handles mangled .worst thing actually with hawthorns is when they go through shoes that happend once with a large nail as well .its more the shock than anything that's the worst bit 

I got hit in the thighs by a 2 inch long blackthorn whilst chipping, it went through my chainsaw trousers and lodge in my muscle, it looked like a large black head, by the time i got to the first aid kit it had disappeared into my thigh, the staff at casualty though i was bullshitting them until they scanned me, ended up in theatre , general anaesthetic and operation to remove it,

On 12/03/2009 at 19:18, Highland Forestry said:

I know that feeling....

Last time I had to have a blood test I woke up in A & E !!!

Absolutley scared sh****ss of needles!!! Just feel sick and hot and then pass out like a little girl.

I had a tetanus shot a couple of months ago and they are nothing like they used to be. I used to go in with a cut and come out with a limp. The one I just had I asked if she had actually done it as I didn't feel anything and it was in the arm.