Mechanised forest harvester tickets ?

benson

im interested in finding out more about doing the correct MO units for forest harvesters and forwarders, haven't had much luck around the south east (sussex/Kent) and wondered if anyone knew about it ? or is the best way to learn by getting on the machine first ?

You will need some FMO tickets. For the machines you will need:

FMO 1.1 or 1.2 Tracked slewing i don't have it so i don't know it. Basically a digger

FMO 1.3 wheeled rigid or a tractor in common terms

FMO 1.4 4/6 wheeled articulated.

FMO 1.5 8 wheeled articulated.

Once you have your base unit you can then choose your next units. If you want to be a forwarder driver you;ll need FMO 3.1-3.6. Depending on where you have the crane and on what base unit. If you are driving a tractor with a timber trailer you'll need FMO 1.3 tractor base and FMO 3.4,3.5,3.6. Forwader handling crane cab, crane bunk, crane other. One test for base unit one test for your chosen crane position and you get the other two for agri forwading.

IF you want to do purpose built forwaders. You need FMO 1.4 and 1.5 (two tests) and FMO 3.1-3.3 another test.

For harvester an appropriate base unit and 2.1 2.2 and 6.13 (i think). Think thats 2 tests + base unit can't remember.

Barony College and H+W forestry do harvester and forwader training. Just a note though you'll be looking at doing a nearly 6 week course epescially in the harvester.

I would Be cautious in which courses your looking at doing at the moment as the assessment schedules for FMO units have changes and so have the categories !! my advice would be to have a look on the NPTC City&Guilds website !! look at qualifications , click the option for level 2 forest and arb units and scroll down and you will see the new units

Hope this helps

> 002015 City & Guilds NPTC Level 2 Award in Forest Machine Operations - Base Machine (QCF)

> 002016 City & Guilds NPTC Level 2 Award in Forest Machine Operations - Forwarder (QCF)

> 002017 City & Guilds NPTC Level 2 Award in Forest Machine Operations - Felling (QCF)

> 002018 City & Guilds NPTC Level 2 Award in Forest Machine Operations - Processing (QCF)

> 002019 City & Guilds NPTC Level 2 Award in Forest Machine Operations - Cable Crane (QCF)

> 002020 City & Guilds NPTC Level 2 Award in Forest Machine Operations - Skidder (QCF)

> 002021 City & Guilds NPTC Level 2 Award in Forest Machine Operations - Chokerman (QCF)

> 002022 City & Guilds NPTC Level 2 Award in Forest Machine Operations - Processing Timber (Mobile) (QCF)

> 002023 City & Guilds NPTC Level 2 Award in Forest Machine Operations - Drainage and Mounding (QCF)

> 002024 City & Guilds NPTC Level 2 Award in Forest Machine Operations - Ploughing (QCF)

> 002025 City & Guilds NPTC Level 2 Award in Forest Machine Operations - Continuous Mounder (QCF)

> 002026 City & Guilds NPTC Level 2 Award in Forest Machine Operations - Scarifier (QCF)

> 002027 City & Guilds NPTC Level 2 Award in Forest Machine Operations - Flail/Mulcher (QCF)

> 002028 City & Guilds NPTC Level 2 Award in Forest Machine Operations - Static Loader (QCF)

> 002029 City & Guilds NPTC Level 2 Award in Forest Machine Operations - Processing Timber (Static) (QCF)

> 002030 City & Guilds NPTC Level 2 Award in Forest Machine Operations - Base Machine (QCF)

> 002031 City & Guilds NPTC Level 2 Award in Forest Machine Operations - Processing Timber (Mobile) (QCF)

> 002032 City & Guilds NPTC Level 2 Award in Forest Machine Operations - Drainage and Mounding (QCF)

> 002033 City & Guilds NPTC Level 2 Award in Forest Machine Operations - Ploughing (QCF)

> 002034 City & Guilds NPTC Level 2 Award in Forest Machine Operations - Continuous Mounder (QCF)

> 002035 City & Guilds NPTC Level 2 Award in Forest Machine Operations - Scarifier (QCF)

> 002036 City & Guilds NPTC Level 2 Award in Forest Machine Operations - Flail/Mulcher (QCF)

> 002037 City & Guilds NPTC Level 2 Award in Forest Machine Operations - Static Loader (QCF)

> 002038 City & Guilds NPTC Level 2 Award in Forest Machine Operations - Processing Timber (Static) (QCF)

> 002042 City & Guilds NPTC Level 2 Award in Forest Machine Operations - Base Machine with Forwarder (QCF)

> 002044 City & Guilds NPTC Level 2 Award in Forest Machine Operations - Base Machine with Cable Crane (QCF)

> 002045 City & Guilds NPTC Level 2 Award in Forest Machine Operations - Base Machine with Skidder (QCF)

> 002047 City & Guilds NPTC Level 2 Award in Forest Machine Operations - Base Machine with Drainage or Mounding (QCF)

> 002048 City & Guilds NPTC Level 2 Award in Forest Machine Operations - Base Machine with Ploughing (QCF)

> 002049 City & Guilds NPTC Level 2 Award in Forest Machine Operations - Base Machine with Continuous Mounder (QCF)

> 002050 City & Guilds NPTC Level 2 Award in Forest Machine Operations - Base Machine with Scarifier (QCF)

> 002051 City & Guilds NPTC Level 2 Award in Forest Machine Operations - Base Machine with Flail/Mulcher (QCF

Jeeze there's loads of them...

im interested in finding out more about doing the correct MO units for forest harvesters and forwarders, haven't had much luck around the south east (sussex/Kent) and wondered if anyone knew about it ? or is the best way to learn by getting on the machine first ?

It's quite difficult to get on a machine. I don't know how much truth there is in it but it's said that FMO training is second in cost to pilot training. But given that you will have 100k machine doing maybe 10% of production, damage to machine cost of a good trainer. I can see it being close.

The best way onto a machine is to cut for someone with forwader. One day if your good you'll get a go. Then you might get to cover the forwarder driver or play with it when its not doing anything.

Downside is most people use agri forwarders because 50k will get you the best forwader trailer going put that behind a 30k tractor your still a hell of a long way away from the cost of a proper purpose built forwarder. However the jump from agri to purpose is quite steep.

Mostly because agri ones have manual controls and are very slow. Once you step into a purpose built and every control is customisable to you and the controls are quick i mean seriously quick even turned down to slow.

One you master the forwader you'll get a shot at harvester the crane conrols are the same. Just have to learn your buttons and computers. Quickest way in is the digger route to be honest. The real thing as the harvester driver is quality control. No point in cutting red 3.7s when that might only just go for pallet.

It all seems scary and a lot to take in but it does come. Takes a long time and a lot of practice. Once you have it though it can take you anywhere in the world. I've worked in Finland and had offers for South Africa and Oz. Just bare in mind the hours are long and locations remote.

In this country we seem to have 1 guy 1 harvester nice as you get to look after it and if you break it you fix it. Else where in the wold its 2 guys a machine either a 8, 10 or 12 hour shift each. Depending on where, conditions and the like. Much more civilized especially if your close to home:thumbup1:

I would Be cautious in which courses your looking at doing at the moment as the assessment schedules for FMO units have changes and so have the categories !! my advice would be to have a look on the NPTC City&Guilds website !! look at qualifications , click the option for level 2 forest and arb units and scroll down and you will see the new units

Hope this helps

So they have. Interesting. Looks a little simpler i did my first FMO just after they did the cross certification thing ie. if you can drive a bunk mounted forwarder then you get the others.

thats brilliant cheers for all the informations i've done some basic operations on an agri forwarder before, but no where near enough in my eyes! ill give it a google and see what is comes up with! cheers again!

So they have. Interesting. Looks a little simpler i did my first FMO just after they did the cross certification thing ie. if you can drive a bunk mounted forwarder then you get the others.

The units have only become live in the last week , i have been chasing the qualification guidance for the last week and was only able to get my hands on the final version on Thursday afternoon , it is now seen that once you have completed base unit and forwarder operations the only difference will be tracks/wheeled , weight and rigid or articulated . I will be able to tell you more after a trip up to MWMAC on Friday