Dremel's

Dorset Hedgelayer

As the hedging season will soon be with us again, Im wondering about making simple, rustic signs to leave on the hedges after Ive finished then.

Having had a look at some of the great work on here making sign's/logos etc

Im wondering what others are using routering with.

Would a Dremel be ok for the job

Would something like a 3000 and a plunge router be ok, would be done free hand.

Wood used would be what ever I get/or have got from the hedges. Ash Hazel Thorn etc etc (strangely hedge row wood:001_tongue:)

Would just split it, plane it, write in it,

Dont have any plans to make things for a living, just signs to hang there after the job, better than leaving a bit of plastic etc

any help many thanks

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Others may disagree but I would say it is harder to learn to use a router freehand than a carving chisel. I would get a V shaped gauge and have a go. It's not difficult to do some rustic lettering like this. I have never used a Dremel so can't help on that front.

Dremels are ok for somethings but wouldn't be my choice for signs. As for routers I would go for something like this:

http://m.screwfix.com/p/makita-3707f-2-440w-240v-router/28724

This will take a little getting used to. A carving gouge would be easier; or you could go for a pyrography kit like this, which can be easier to learn and a lot cheaper.

James

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=350839385516

thanks were have a look,

the sort of thing I want to "knock up" would almost be throw away signs, they would just be left in/on the hedge,

Ive had stuff made before the plastic type thing, I now want to keep away from,

You fix them in after the job or even during only to find there not there next day or been used for anything other than advertising, pennys wasted

Pyrography i wouldn't waste my time with it as the cheap ones are crap IMO, the router link above is the one I've got which works very well but i could do with something smaller. I also have a dremel which I'm thinking about getting a plunge attachment for it. DREMEL Multi Power Tool Accessories Attachment 335 Plunge Router 26150335JA UK | eBay

Or maybe a small palm router, the writing in my pic was done free hand with a router, the fern was done free hand with a dremel with a flexi shaft.

uploadfromtaptalk1372967006046.jpg.53a8df9b1b29f84ab679e9760f06cc05.jpg

Edited by Ian Leach

Had a look at the screwfix page, and had a scan on youtube for things as well.

The reason for the thinking behind the Dremel was can be used for other things.

Recon I would only be using it for "letters/numbers" about 30-40 odd, no pictures

as I say just a wood/rustic sign to have during & to leave after the job,

Once sorted shouldnt take to to long to make them surely?.

after looking on screwfix might even just get a cheap router and see how we go. Still keen for any other advice/help many thanks

Did myself a house sign a few years ago. Printed off some lettering from the computer, transferred it on to a slab of oak using carbon paper and then lowered the background with a router to leave the lettering standing proud, finishing by hand chisel. Did try a dremel but didn't work out for me, jumped around a bit but expect it could be improved with some practice. Good luck!

Hi Ian & all

What are the size of the letters and the sign/logo in this picture ?

Had a word with a mate last night, low n behold he has a cheap version of a Dremel so just going to have a go with it see how we go, no router bits with it, so just ordered one V bit , fits with other "multitools" so see how we get on with that set up before we part with any router dosh.

Pyrography i wouldn't waste my time with it as the cheap ones are crap IMO, the router link above is the one I've got which works very well but i could do with something smaller. I also have a dremel which I'm thinking about getting a plunge attachment for it. DREMEL Multi Power Tool Accessories Attachment 335 Plunge Router 26150335JA UK | eBay

Or maybe a small palm router, the writing in my pic was done free hand with a router, the fern was done free hand with a dremel with a flexi shaft.

The piece of timber is 40cm x 17cm, the writing is just over 2cm high and I used a 3mm router cutter. The logo is 15cm x 9cm.

The problem I found with the dremel is it would jump a bit, that's why I was thinking about getting the plunge attachment for it.

Well home early today, hammering it down soggy grass dont collect to well, big suprise post man been before 2.30 as well.

Friday I ordered the Dremel 640 V router bit

Shoved it in the borrowed Power Craft Multi tool and heres the very 1st shakey free hand bits of playing 1st 3 in a bit of beech just in different light, 2nd 2 small bit of Oak knocked up for pen holders, I just stick on the display at shows maybe now with name in.

Recon the 1st 3 Im going to deep its not a clean "cut" in the bottom, or maybe trying to go to fast ???????.

The pen holders not so deep.

Any routering advise more than happy to receive

DSCF7399.jpg.e92568b589ad501d962541fe014d571c.jpg

DSCF7398.jpg.d4a611a7a35eca19898fb9a7bc0e2f67.jpg

DSCF7397.jpg.1fb3d26dad4c529e32ffbc2d9559ae07.jpg

DSCF7396.jpg.fce6b678b668301142d14efdfb31294e.jpg

DSCF7395.jpg.3233495234a8816b825a791d022b5cc8.jpg