Scandinavia

Are you seriouse bro!? A weekly food shop in Norway is about 200 quid! There isn't anything inflated about it.

You can earn a decent wage if you don't spunk it at the weekend but if you go out and live it up your take home similar to the wages in the uk.

To be fair mate, your the type of person who i was talking about, your go in asking the 200 a day mark and think your roling in it when in fact you don't have any clue to what you should or shouldn't be earning...... The type of person who ruins the industry! 13 years ago my cousin worked as a contractor in Stockholm He was earning 400 Sek an hour. Id be lucky to earn 250 sek in Sweden these days. The combination of stupidity and greed has caused this and it actually puts an awfull lot of Swedish/ norweigien climbers off taking up arb.

And for the record my groundsmen usually call me Jesus!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you seriouse bro!? A weekly food shop in Norway is about 200 quid! There isn't anything inflated about it.

You can earn a decent wage if you don't spunk it at the weekend but if you go out and live it up your take home similar to the wages in the uk.

To be fair mate, your the type of person who i was talking about, your go in asking the 200 a day mark and think your roling in it when in fact you don't have any clue to what you should or shouldn't be earning...... The type of person who ruins the industry! 13 years ago my cousin worked as a contractor in Stockholm He was earning 400 Sek an hour. Id be lucky to earn 250 sek in Sweden these days. The combination of stupidity and greed has caused this and it actually puts an awfull lot of Swedish/ norweigien climbers off taking up arb.

I have to say if you can get that rate then good on you.:thumbup1:. The problem with these posts is they give a false expectation to the majority of people trying to get work in Scandinavia a lot straight from college thinking they are going to come over and earn the money you are talking about,when in reality they wouldn't get even close to the mark,its got nothing to do with who i am or what i do,pay rates are set by what people will work for and what they employer's will pay over a long time period until it becomes the standard like the UK

Bahahaha Jesus? That is probably the most ridiculous thing i have ever read on this forum i hope your were taking the piss.:thumbup:

just jumping in here! Can i ask for those of you that have worked/ do work/ own a company in Norway what in your opinion is the average pay? I know it always depends on the climber and company etc but just an average ball park figure for a competent climber with his own kit, employed, working full time. I'd be really interested to know just to compare what i earn to other peoples experiences.

Cheers

just jumping in here! Can i ask for those of you that have worked/ do work/ own a company in Norway what in your opinion is the average pay? I know it always depends on the climber and company etc but just an average ball park figure for a competent climber with his own kit, employed, working full time. I'd be really interested to know just to compare what i earn to other peoples experiences.

Cheers

By what was messaged in this thread i would say there is no average,seems to be from on e extreme to the other.Definitely more then the uk but hard to say.

There once was a shortage of Climbers,the shortage no longer exists.

Now the supply infact exceeds demand and as a result the wages and price jobs command has fallen due to competition.

Just like ten years ago I was on £120 per day climbing in London.Ten years later the same wage prevails,this not not due to stupidity or greed but market forces.

when i first came over to sweden i was on £20 an hour and thought it was the tits as it as double what i was on in the uk - i had all my kit provided and digs (of a sort actually they were rather gash) and the use of company van, phone etc. Once i stopped getting pissed all the time i started saving money. Self employed over here you need to charge a minimum of 400sek and hour to company but now there are so many desperate climbers that has been pushed as low as 320 which yeah sounds alot but the work season is retarded - work usually starts to come in around March but you may as well right of July and most of August as every one is on holiday, then you work Sep to novemberish and then your lucky to get much till next spring, and if you are legit you are as well as halving anything you earn as it goes to the tax man. Now as employed with all the perks of a reqgular contract (if you get one now they offer an hours as required contracts) you get sick pay after 6 months holiday pay and kit provided etc. but then even in stockholm you will be hard pressed to be on much more tha 160sek - guys i know are employed on 145 an hour - so yeah you still earn a bit more than in the uk but it isnt a cheep country. I do alright but then i've been lucky, and i live a relatively modes life style - i rarely go out on the piss proper and have no need to show off by buying fancy crap i dont need - instead during quite times i bugger off to some place cheep and get 6 months worth of drinking done - cheep flights to poland anyone??? There are more and more swedish wannabees and pleanty of young uk chaps trying to get out here but work is competative and often hard to find out side of the bigger cities, it helps if you have other skills so you can do more than one thing as myself and some other long termers i know out here have already reached to conclusion that it would be folly to rely purely on tree work to get you buy - though folk do manage it and have been very successful out here. But if you are young and single with out a mortgage then dont worry too much about the pennies you earn, get over here for the experience. If people have a strong work ethic matched with ability then evetually they land on their feet - or so i can say from my own experiences.

I got offered 220 nok, is it worth going or better to stick to earning and spending in pounds? I really fancy spending some time in Norway but my work in UK allows me saving enough to go on holidays from time to time and hearing stories about how much everything costs there not sure if I would be able to save anything?

I got offered 220 nok, is it worth going or better to stick to earning and spending in pounds? I really fancy spending some time in Norway but my work in UK allows me saving enough to go on holidays from time to time and hearing stories about how much everything costs there not sure if I would be able to save anything?

If you play it safe and stay in the UK then you will never know! Best not to listen to stories about cost of living and just see for yourself, it can be high but it's not as bad as some stories I've read on here. 36% of your wage goes to the tax man, that's a true story.

Everybody has tales to tell.

The money's a bonus of some of the wonderful experiences we have in the arb world.

It's a way of life,if i wanted to be rich,i wouldn't climb trees.

More you earn,more tax you pay.simples.

No different than UK,or anywhere else i guess

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App