Scandinavia

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So its not 30quid and hour dead wooding perfectly branched limes all day in the sun while watching hot Nordic girls.....?

Believe me I'm under no illusions. My idea of good money is being able to sustain myself (the reason my last adventure went belly up). I know what Scandinavia is like and I love it. It was in Sweden nearly ten years ago when I decided to I was going to be tree surgeon.

I'm not expecting an easy ride I want to work hard in every far flung place I can regardless if I return with a big bank balance or just experience which I value more.

I just have itchy feet and when work is slow in winter I think it's the best time for a change of scenery.

All thoughts and ideas welcomed.

Ps Steve great idea but 5 years climbing is something I won't have for another 5 years unfortunately :thumbdown:

Your better off going to the Southern Hemisphere for the Northern Winter,than further North .

Generally employers anywhere are after someone who can fill a role with minimal training,if I interpreted your post correctly then your pretty new to this industry and there for better off getting some more experience before heading abroad.

winter is crap - little work, no light - bloody cold - good skiing though - might get work shoveling snow from a roof. But get in touch with the firms so they have your name for when work would pick up - Dont expect great money, alot of firms now will pay a you a little more than in the uk but you could earn more if your good in the uk - prices of uk climbers can be as low as 140sek an hour - which may sound a bit to some but cost of living is high - if you are good and get in with the right people and supply kit you can earn a lot better. But it takes time and luck - ive been out here for 4 years in September so i know a bit and the market is getting tougher and tougher so prices are getting lower. but there is always work for the willing and able.

• 3 weeks later...

I worked in Finland on the machines for a winter. It was so cold that some days it wasn't worth going to site as the machines would break in the cold! Until you've been in -30 it's very hard to imagine.

I did some hand felling in January out there. You got hot you started to sweat that froze then you were freezing cold. Not good, also the wood is very brittle because of the cold.

Not sure if i'd want to be on spikes or running rope in the cold my self. Not that i saw much tree surgery out there. Infact one job was to stop the low loader at the bottom of this guys road track the harvester up the road fell the tree in his garden and process it into 30cm sections for splitting....

I earn upwards of 35 pounds an hour mike. You know as well as I do that money is available in scandinavia. There are far to many companies taking the piss out of people, and it really is ruining an industry. ........Going back to winter. Yeah it's pretty bleak to be honest. Good luck, I really hope you find a good employer with some integrity.