The diary of a kindling maker

gensetsteve

All pallets have to treated to comply with eu standards. The only timber from pallets allowed to be burnt in domestic stoves by the EA are heat treated pallets which make up a very small percentage of new pallets and certainly have not as yet entered into the mainstream recycled pallet market.

so heat treated pallets are fine and Methyl Bromide treatment has been banned since 2010?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You will always get cheap illegal kindling made from pallets as trading standards/EA only seem to prosecute the big boys.

We dont use second hand pallet wood. The day I have to compete with criminals I will look for something else to do. There is a demand for quality kindling we do our best to supply it. :biggrin:

We dont use second hand pallet wood. The day I have to compete with criminals I will look for something else to do. There is a demand for quality kindling we do our best to supply it. :biggrin:

but its not illegal:001_rolleyes:

just looking into a pallet chipper for domestic wood chip and while the grants are available you would be mad not too:lol:

just looking into a pallet chipper for domestic wood chip and while the grants are available you would be mad not too:lol:

So your saying its not against the rules for me to make kindling out of treated timber. I was under the impression you can burn treated timber in an approved appliance as long as its burnt at a temperature over 600 deg. I assume an open fire and cheap domestic wood burner would not meet this standard. Why would you need kindling in a woodchip boiler I assume they have a built in ignition source surely you dont spend 15k then have to get on your knees with news paper and kindling :lol:

yep perfectly legal to burn heat treated timber in a domestic stove

John has pointed out that only a very small percentage of pallets are heat treated. The rest are covered in spilt product paint and chemical treatment. MMMMMM nice

Quite frankly I think you would be mad to invest in a pallet chipper at this time. My logic for this statement is based on the new rules coming in in 2014 with regards to RHI payments on domestic boilers only being available from certified approved wood suppliers having wood from certified sustainable forests. As pallets are not traceable then any chip produced will only be able to be used on non RHI woodchip boilers. At present the legislation does not allow pallet woodchip to be used on boilers with capacity in excess of 400kw or multiple boilers on the same site which would exceed the 400kw limit. The final nail in the pallet coffin is the restriction of only being able to store 10 tonnes on site at any one time. Well with my chipper that's less than 1 hours work. At the end of the day you need to ask yourself would I install a non RHI boiler if the government are going to bribe me into installing a RHI boiler.

John has pointed out that only a very small percentage of pallets are heat treated. The rest are covered in spilt product paint and chemical treatment. MMMMMM nice

but no figures or facts to back up his claim?

HT/KD pallet grade timber straight from the mill makes great kindling

but no figures or facts to back up his claim?

HT/KD pallet grade timber straight from the mill makes great kindling

You could well be right woody but this thread is about kindling and we dont make wood chip so its a bit irelevant. Maybe you need to start a thread on shall I chip pallets for my wood burner.