Horatio

You've got to always ensure a level surface to work on and sometimes that means cutting a step for it when working on a slope, I've had mine over on it's side 3 times.

Can you elaborate slightly on this? what kind of incline is unsuitable? Do you just cut the level with a spade, or build it up with some soil?

Do you think the narrow version with the dual wheels on will be less prone to tipping?

Cheers!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Evening,

The stability issue comes up rarely.

It's not an easy machine for slopes as it's a narrow top heavy machine and the swivelling action that make stumps such a breeze can in a few situations cause the machine to 'jackknife' an topple over. I have no doubt the new double wheels will do much to prevent this and as I say it is a rare occurrence and once you are at ease with the machine you get used to it's little ways.

It comes with warning stickers in Spanish and American English warning you of this so it's not as though it's an unknown phenomena.

In 3 years I've had mine over 3 times with no damage done.

Oh, and the exhaust guard like most of the ones I have ever had just falls off after a while. I take mine off before that moment as the rattling just adds to the noise.

The machine does come with warning stickers advertising this as a risk.

Regardless of this, it's a great little earner so stop procrastinating and go and order one NOW!

Ty

Evening,

The stability issue comes up rarely.

It's not an easy machine for slopes as it's a narrow top heavy machine and the swivelling action that make stumps such a breeze can in a few situations cause the machine to 'jackknife' an topple over. I have no doubt the new double wheels will do much to prevent this and as I say it is a rare occurrence and once you are at ease with the machine you get used to it's little ways.

It comes with warning stickers in Spanish and American English warning you of this so it's not as though it's an unknown phenomena.

In 3 years I've had mine over 3 times with no damage done.

Oh, and the exhaust guard like most of the ones I have ever had just falls off after a while. I take mine off before that moment as the rattling just adds to the noise.

The machine does come with warning stickers advertising this as a risk.

Regardless of this, it's a great little earner so stop procrastinating and go and order one NOW!

Ty

Sounds like a great machine but not sure I can justify best part of £7k on a machine that's going to generate an income of let's say £1,000 a year? I've got an Alpine Magnum and that is such a handy machine but clearly limited on big stumps although I have done some 3' plus stumps, takes a while and very physical.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

bandit hb19 is the best "small" machine around, as mentioned above you can tackle most sized stumps with relative ease and the hydraulic drive takes the maul out of pushing it around!

relatively cheap maintenance costs, bearings and belts economical when time comes to replace, with cheaper finger teeth.

Also only 33" wide, will go comfortably through m ost domestic accesses

A mere grand a year...?:confused1:

Man, you've really got to sell those stumps!:thumbup1:

Ours turns over a euro grand a month on average.

It only needs to go out a few days a month to rake it in.

Ty

I've never promoted stump grinding in fact almost the opposite. If I could do £800+ a month I'd be very happy. I know you're in France do you work your price out based on the diameter inch or just estimate time taken to do job etc?

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

2ptf.jpg

3nse.jpg

My narrow one had its first day yesterday on seven narrow access stumps.

x7 12-14 inch conifer and x1 30inch ash on another site.

Second image is of the finished Ash, customer is clearing up.

Having not used one before yesterday, I have no comparison. However it seemed very productive. The main issue for me was the physical effort required on the stump if it was high (like the ash was raised out of the ground)

However when the machines head was lower the balance was good and very fast.

Total grind time today including moving, loading and warming the machine, 4 hours. After a few more hours practice on it I think 3 hours would be more realistic

2ptf.jpg

3nse.jpg

My narrow one had its first day yesterday on seven narrow access stumps.

x7 12-14 inch conifer and x1 30inch ash on another site.

Second image is of the finished Ash, customer is clearing up.

Having not used one before yesterday, I have no comparison. However it seemed very productive. The main issue for me was the physical effort required on the stump if it was high (like the ash was raised out of the ground)

However when the machines head was lower the balance was good and very fast.

Total grind time today including moving, loading and warming the machine, 4 hours. After a few more hours practice on it I think 3 hours would be more realistic

Ah, high stumps...

I cut the bark off these to clean it for cutting lower still.

Trouble is some-times a chain gets ruined on stone and earth included in the buttresses.

I also make a platform using earth and chips to help raise the machine.

Still, not many I can't get at!

Ty