advice needed (chainsaws and rivers)

burrell_

rite I went to price a job today a customer phoned and said he had a tree that had failed :lol::lol: so I get there and its one of the big willows have fell in the river

this is my first big river job

I now how I want to do the job its just the trunk can I put the bar of the saw in the water to cut it if not I have no idea how to cut the trunk wood up

im going to tirfor most the tree out

I will post pics later I would say 50 % of the tree is well under water

any advice would be great

cheers martin

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing wrong with putting a bar in water. Just the engine that's doesn't like it...:blushing:

Keep the power unit out the water, especially the back end. The water will just roun along the chain and get thrown out. The only after care would be drying the bar and chain and getting some oil over it when finished to protect from rusting.

Oh and the use of bio oil as its a watercourse.

rite I went to price a job today a customer phoned and said he had a tree that had failed :lol::lol: so I get there and its one of the big willows have fell in the river

this is my first big river job

I now how I want to do the job its just the trunk can I put the bar of the saw in the water to cut it if not I have no idea how to cut the trunk wood up

im going to tirfor most the tree out

I will post pics later I would say 50 % of the tree is well under water

any advice would be great

cheers martin

HI BURRELL i do not like to tell you how to do it but can you not winch it out thanks jon

funny enough mate it is josh lol

what I was worried about is wet wood pinching on the bar more than anything so I thought I would ask the Q and see what I could work out

and jon im planning to winch the tree out in bits but the trunk is still attached to the root ball and I need to cut the trunk that is under water to free the last bit its 3ish ft DIA so the 076 with 48inch bar it is :lol::lol::lol:

oh I was going to use bio oil anyway

or I could see if nifty steve has his u900 going

Yep,

No problem.

Been there done that (once only mind)

A big semi submerged flood carried Willow, fanked up under a pontoon.

Quite enjoyed that diversion from driving the desk.

First time using a Trifor properly, since my RE TA days in the eighties.

Really must get that Riverine use chain saw ticket some time:lol:.

Along with all the rest!

PS

Much rather work on water than up a tree btw.

M

yep no problems, as mentioned keep the chain a bit slacker, good set of waterproofs and a bar a good bit longer than you think you need as its nearly impossible to stand where you want to in the river (unless its nice and shallow). I always wore chest waders (non ppe ones) with my chainsaw trousers underneath. Dont wear chainsaw gloves as they are a bigger risk than benefit, grippy gloves if you must but i never wore gloves when cutting in the river. Decent waterproof top and a set of safety glasses under your visor as the spray isnt great to get in your eyes when cutting with a bigger saw.

Afterwards put the saw somewhere warm to dry out over night and take the chain, bar and side cover off and give everything a good dose of wd40 even the side of the saw.

5976657972e64_sawriver.png.74a0bc35811cc6fb053d873d1d7d2d30.png