stock fencing

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

do you know what im meaning by the bar with hooks on one side to put through the fencing then a loop at the other end to attach the winch to or have i imagend that lol

Not entirely sure what you mean, I assume you mean a bar which is clamped on to the netting with hooks top and bottom to attach the monkey strainers (or winch) to. there are variations on this theme depending on the manufacture, your one sounds like the Hayes one where you lay the netting across the bar then drive hooks into the bar to clamp the netting then attach the winch. They are quite good but rather lumpy great things and expensive, the Drivall ones do the same job but are just the right size for standard stock netting.

Perhaps im on about something different altogether to you. I'd download a picture but it takes forever on this computer!

yep, that's very similar to my drivall ones, but you don't hook the wire over the hooks the bar, the bar comes apart and you put the netting inbetween the two parts of the bar and tighten it down using the handles/hooks. then attch the winch either on to the big handle or even better have a set of monkey strainers and attach them to the top and bottom of the clamp. just looking the one in the pic doesn't have the hooks on the top and bottom.

yes, 10 acres by hand will end up either very costly for your customer or you'll end up working for nothing. A tractor mounted rammer will knock a strainer in in a minute or three and it wont move an inch. digging the same post in by hand will take up to half an hour or so and is never as solid. and that's just one post...

Also if your unsure how to get everything tight and pucker properly, it will all end up looking pretty shoddy in a year or so. You Tube is good but can't beat on the job learning.

STOCK FENCING

Tell the guy to buy high tensile 200mtr rolls

You only need one stainer every 100 mts use the New Zealand box strainer then this works out for post 33 per 100 mts your box strainer upright works has your first post.

Round here the rates £1-50 - £2-00 per metre

If you look on the Tornado Fencing site I thing they have a calculator. or ring them.

I used to charge £6-£7-00p per metre. made a decent prophet that is supplying and erecting

But now I AM UNDER CUT BY A COUPLE QUID by the contractors. they now do 400mtr rolls on a tractor they are doing any thing up to 1000mtre aday

It's not always possible to pull wire past a strainer (in a corner for example), and you'll certainly find that strainers dug in by hand have a tendancy to spin after you've stapled the wire on and release the tension in the winch/tractor attached to your clamp.

Obviously you can't wrap the wire around the strainer whilst the clamp is holding the tension.

Rotation of the strainer will make a mess of your strutt/strainer interface.

Strainers driven in with a post-knocker tend not to spin.

Personally, I would use medium gripples mid-way along each 100m stretch. A gripple tool is only about £60, and you'll use 8 gripples for each join in a C8/80/15 net, at approx.£1 each.

Also, don't cut your strutts into your strainer too high, (no higher than 0.6m from the ground) or your strainers can be lifted out of the ground when the tension acts in conjunction with the strutt to lever the strainer out.

Once the netting's on, I would use a monkey strainer to pull the barb tight and finish off with your draper thingy.

Bear in mind that undulations in the ground will make the wire tighter and tighter as you staple the wire on, so you should pull the wire up or down as necessary at each change in gradient in an orderly manner to ensure the tension is even throughout.

I know some people don't like gripples, but they're fannies.