Beech disease opinions

Loz

Thought so, my thoughts on this tree are ......firewood
Before any more 'burning' thoughts come to mind, consider that the infection appears to be in one vascular pathway. I heed the teachings of Prof. Croft--See trees as a series of units. :biggrin:

That pathway may be infected and compartmentalised, long-term. The story is told underground--check the flare and roots!! :sneaky2:

NOT POSSIBLE to make a prescription, Rx, without a Root Collar Examination, RCX. If the infection is not widespread, one strategy would be soil replacement.

Interesting. The tree owner is a practical farmer type, so ground investigation won't be happening. I think the approach will be to just wait and see how bad it gets, its now weighted away from road so no reason to remove asap.

ref soil replacement; i presume you mean after the tree has been removed?!

Interesting. The tree owner is a practical farmer type, so ground investigation won't be happening. ...ref soil replacement; i presume you mean after the tree has been removed?!
Practical farmers have shovels--that's the only tool needed, tho a trowel and hose can help. Just dig the weeds and soil away from the infected part of the stem--takes mere seconds to see extent of dysfunction.

Why does "soil work" connote "expensive tool--arborists no can do--we climb and cut and that's all"??? :001_rolleyes: Far from the truth.