Rock Balancing first efforts

GardenKit

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a fun past time!

I used to be a part time mate for the OYC before getting married and the 'what to do' scenario often came up. What to do with a group of under 16's on a sailing boat to entertain them.

We were anchored in Sark, on one of those summers that enabled safe passage to the island, fantastic shore trips and home made entertainment.

Rock balancing was a big part of this. Some brilliant tall structures were built too. Now I've always had the 'knock it down mentality' with rock balancing so this is what ensued!:sneaky2: A competition to build them and then a competition to knock them down.

There were 18 people aboard the John Laing and between us we moved almost all the pebbles down the beach to the tide line, throwing stones at the structures, in the two hours we were playing:thumbup: We took to bringing them back up to the throwing point in the end.:001_rolleyes:

codlasher

Just reminded me seeing you boat gardenkit. How is the engine running on aspen??

I can honestly say its running better than ever. A very even engine note, never missing a beat, and it does seem to have a bit more power. Its only 25hp and always struggled to get over the 'hump' and onto the plane with two up. It now gets over the 'hump' much faster and feels like it may have a couple more knots too.

And when cruising very slowly around the creeks and harbour there is no petrol or exhaust smell on a following wind.

Also, as it does not evaporate as quickly as petrol I did not have to pump the primer at all all week, whereas I would have to do it almost every time if it had not been used for an hour on petrol.

All in all a great result and I will not be returning to petrol.

Hmm. That's some good info there. All important question. Can you see if its more economical than the petrol or about the same?

I'm interested now as I know eddie was looking into the outboard market aswell.

No qccurate means of measurement rich, but i would certainly say it was much more economic. I reckon we used the boat more this holiday than others, and because of the calm seas a lot of was at full chat. Used less fuel than other years.

But thats the same as the garden machines. Most of my customers report better fuel consumption.

all good fun, done it loads of times, but this got me thinking, i balance some stones and leave them standing and go on my way, along comes a family core look at that little child says running up to them, touches them and the whole lot comes down on his foot. Sorry to spoil your fun but could do some damage or do you knock them down before leaving. I like to do sand sculptures and leave them behind for children to take a look before the tide washes them away, the sculptures not the children.