Advice about Wesspur rip-off

joe into trees

Hi guys,

I'm just after some advice, in case any of you have run into this situation before.

Back in 2010 I came up with a different way of splicing the tether for an SRT system. Cobbled together with the Kong Futura and some other kit, this became the

. I wrote about it in this handout, then started making these kits for an Australian gear supplier and for my friends.

Now I find that Wesspur have brought out their own - quite frankly somewhat shoddy - knock-off version. I wrote to them to try and get them to - at least - attribute the design, and their first reply was fairly courteous:

Thanks for contacting us. I'm happy to discuss the matter further with you, and having learned that you were the originator, we would be happy to attribute the idea to you. I apologize if we have stepped on your toes - I am guessing that the proliferation of "Frog" climbing systems led the persons who put together our kit to believe that "MicroFrog" was a generic term.

We certainly would like to give credit where it is due, and we are open to suggestions for how you would like to move forward.

- Nathan Lough (Wesspur)

So far so good, right?

Unfortunately since then they have decided to completely ignore every single one of my emails, not even having the basic courtesy to send a reply.

So, long story over, any advice? Anyone been in this situation before and found a way to move forward? At the end of the day, it wasn't patented or anything - I mean, why bother, look at how the Faltheimer got ripped off by everyone - and it seems a shame to go down that road anyway. But is that the only answer?

This is nothing I have experience of but I feel for you . Short of having a patent on the idea ( and you will need to research that they have not patented your idea ) you could go into direct competition with them in manufacturing and patent your idea as soon as .....

Hey Joe,

Mate, thats pretty poor. I even attribute my bastardised system to you as your vid formed its foundation right down to the Futura for a while.

There was a similar system floating around out there by a guy called JB Holdaway, hes a bit of an innovator as well.

My observations is that there are many not taking business to Wespur anymore and preferencing Treestuff outta the states instead.

Maybe just getting the miscarriage of justice out there globally is all you can do, it can be effective.

(In your last email to Wespur you didn't ask for anything for it like an oil rich state in return did ya?):001_tongue::biggrin:

Cheers,

Tony