Have I left it too late for Australia??

Hi there everyone just a bit of advice really.

I'm 31 years (way too) old and have just started climbing (6 months) and been grounding for about a year.

I want to take the leap down under, but have a few problems as follows....

1. I'm too old I think. - Not physically just under Oz' rules.

2. I have a wife and 3 soon to be 4 children.

3. Not been climbing very long.

So the big question is can I still do it??

With the family it would cost a fortune to pop over for a month then come back and then sort it out to move, my life has always been do first think second and i've never regretted it so i won't start now.

Any advice other then read the immigration page would be appriciated as ive done this hundreds of times and all i can see is i can only get over sponsered and that's just me really.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

yeah my thoughts too i also think the employers will also need me to have a couple of years experience first before wanting me, but the problem with this is i'm not getting any younger :(

i was hoping to hear from somone who has had these issues and managed to move over there. as i dont think knowledge of this problem would be as good as actual experience in this. Thanks though.

Check out the Ozzie jobs on arbjobs, some often include sponsorship etc. I think you're correct in saying you're too old for the working via which ends at 30 (i think). Good luck with it tho mate, it was always my plan but never happened in the end but I know people in the trees over there and it's a good life and the money is great!

When I enquired in NZ ( same fussy attitude) at 30 years of age. They like to get young energetic lads and burn em out. Let someone employ whats left of them later. It will be hard for you to get in as a family. It could be possible but the reality is as shown in many tv shows, whole families react, some settle some hate it. After a year many long to return home. Miss the rain or the greenery, etc. In hindsight as much as I love being in NZ it doesnt quite suit me enough to settle there.

If you can afford to save up and go for a month trying it will definatley give the whole family a better idea, plus you may set up a sponsor. The reality is if you are a good bloke that works hard someone will value you.

I first went when i was about 36 on a holiday visa on my own left the wife and girls in blighty, gone for 3 mths worked 6 days a week cash in hand, never worked so hard in my life, loved it worked and played hard, came home with money. Did the same the next year and had the same experiences, then just concluded as i was flying back the second time that i would with all that i had learnt focus all my efforts on making it work in the uk, i did that and all has worked out, still with the wife and girls and done ok.

When I enquired in NZ ( same fussy attitude) at 30 years of age. They like to get young energetic lads and burn em out. Let someone employ whats left of them later. .

I think the age cut off,is actually about how much you can contribute to the retirement and medical systems that you will end up using if you stay.

If they allowed thousands of 40 year olds into the country,each would only contribute to the system for 20 years and take from it for potentially another 40 years more.

I think the age cut off,is actually about how much you can contribute to the retirement and medical systems that you will end up using if you stay.

If they allowed thousands of 40 year olds into the country,each would only contribute to the system for 20 years and take from it for potentially another 40 years more.

There is that point in the government systems, if your loaded with cash they will more likely roll out the red carpet. But even the albeit limited people I spoke to in forestry had the under 30 outlook. Hard work, in hard conditions with hard blokes that freak you out. Young men only wanted, plus the visa 30yr old cut doesnt help.

A point I didn't mention for the OP is that they will likely examine your wife medically for pregnancy and lots of probing questions?

Morning Mike,

Hopefully I can help a little. I'm currently here in Aus, in the process of getting sponsored, or was until some unmentionable stuck his oar in to mess it up, luckily I've still got time before my working holiday visa is up.

Anyway, to the point; you need at least three years experience in the job or to be level III arboriculture/horticulture.

Your family can join you on the visa, as my partner would as defacto, which is great for them as they are free to do what they want, we would be stuck with the same company, possible same rate for the 4yrs! But you can then able for residency when you've been here for 2yrs, a little loop hole I'm thinking?! 😉

Also at the start of the new financial year, beginning of July, companies need to show that they've tried to employ Aussies for the position before us foreigners! So that's going make it harder for both of us! 😔

So the visa you'd be looking at is the 457, that's for the work you'll be expecting, there is a 475, which is regional but I think that'd be awful for your family, some of these rural areas are pretty isolated!

Come for a month, just yourself and see what you can get, maybe up sell yourself first before coming over, a get an old boss to sign you off for a few things? Cause if you do get a sponsorship, you can get flights payed for by the company, as long as its negotiated before hand! 😉

Hope this helps?

Pretty epic first ever post!! 😜 Haha