Stolen Hens

Gus McWilliam

Customer of mine was having chcikens stolen, turned out was a local lad, police knew about him but would'nt do anything other than warn him as he had mental health problems, he never broke the locks, used to climb over the fence, which was 5ft high chicken netting, I ended up putting coils of barb wire round the top of the pens for the customer, that seemed to stop him

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone has a useful and less useful side.

I recall an incident where a group of travellers made some peoples lives better.

In the 80s when I lived in Surrey there was a group of moped dudes who used to cause all sorts of trouble - basing themselves on a particular street corner.

The police weren't interested, any attempt by joe public to get them to behave just met with verbal abuse.... so

One of the locals knew a couple of mobile individuals and a few people clubbed together for a 'visit' to be arranged. Behold a couple of evenings later a transit pulled up next to the moped group and out jumped half a dozen 'unofficial law enforcers'.

Within two minutes some of the mopeds had fallen over and sustained considerable damage, and some of the moped riders had to seek medical attention.

BUT once they crawled away they never came back.

I, for one, found the whole episode most disturbing and would never approve of violence but some of the locals thought it was a satisfactory resolution.

Some concluded that everyone has their uses.

Meanwhile some tosser in a hoodie nicked 3 boxes of eggs from us this evening. I saw the guy walking along the road. He was wearing stuff you don't wear around here so hopefully he's just a townie on holiday. Otherwise, we'll have a problem.

My eggs are getting nicked fairly often also but they usaully leave the money inn the honesty box they just don't pay & take the eggs.

Saw an estate car with a big trailer one time pull away but didn't get number plate.

Well annoying, pretty sure its a few different locals doing it. I reckon 1 box in 10 gets nicked, only put one box out at a time now after had several boxes nicked @ once.

Best one I had was few years back, after the milkman got stuck on the drive at the farm in the snow he refused to bring the milk down the drive even in the summer so would leave it a the road end, someone cottoned onto this and would nick a pint every morning, best bit was the cheeky barsteward would wash the bottle out and leave it the next morning :sneaky2: