Been asked a thousand times but......

ChrisPlumpton

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am looking for a job in arb. I currently work a 40-50 hour week in a job I have done for the last 15yrs, 13 of which have been with the same company. Just over 2.5 years ago I decided to make a change so I started volunteering. I have volunteered with Lancashire Wildlife Trust, Cheshire Wildlife Trust and for the last 2 years I have volunteered virtually every weekend with the National Trust. In this time I have learnt many skills to do with countryside management such as various types of fencing ie; post and wire stock fencing, cleft fencing, post and rail fencing, security fencing. Installing gates, laying foot paths. I have done hedge laying (and a short course in hedgelaying), planting, invasive species removal, strimming, brushcutting etc. I have lead teams of volunteers in various tasks too. I have also helped carry out hazardous tree assessments on the 400 acre estate. I have also been helping out on a 1000 acre private estate felling a mix of hard and softwood trees (which is also voluntary). I have my CS30 and CS31 tickets, all my own PPE, a Husqvarna 550xp an various felling tools. I also have the funds to pay for my CS38 and CS39 or what ever tickets will make me more employable. So basically I'm after a job, I am more than prepared to start at the bottom and work hard to make it to the top. all I need now is for somebody to give me the break I need, I'm 31, a hard worker, punctual, polite, fit and strong. I am also willing to work a couple of days for free to show I have good skills and work ethic. I can also provide references if needed. I live in Northwich, but I am willing to travel within reason. So if anybody feels like I can be an asset to their company please get in touch. Email; [email protected] or mobile; 07817 285705

Thanks for reading,

Chris

Chris....

It's good to see someone with a conscientious attitude and apparent good work ethic...not to mention a time proven persistence at developing your skills.This at your own expense, financially and timewise.

Potential good employers would see that you have wide ranging skills and experience, perhaps you have much more to offer for some of the bigger companies which would consider your skill base as being of great value to enable them to develop their own business plans. Maybe you still have training requirements as you suggest but haven't we all. The thing that stands out in your post is that you have the drive and passion with goals and have ambition enough to put yourself out there.....that to me deserves some positive feedback.Keep at it, make a list of companies within reasonable distance of your home base or further, contact them and sell yourself direct.

Take note of seemingly negative comments and take heart from the positive ones.

I think it's worth noting that there are those who prefer to work for themselves and those which prefer to be employed.....we all have our reasons for preference, I prefer to be employed....less hassle,not being pressurised to get tax returns done etc, can develop your skills as you go along, and maybe consider the self employed thing if you reach a point where you feel comfortable with that.

Good luck with it.

Chris....

It's good to see someone with a conscientious attitude and apparent good work ethic...not to mention a time proven persistence at developing your skills.This at your own expense, financially and timewise.

Potential good employers would see that you have wide ranging skills and experience, perhaps you have much more to offer for some of the bigger companies which would consider your skill base as being of great value to enable them to develop their own business plans. Maybe you still have training requirements as you suggest but haven't we all. The thing that stands out in your post is that you have the drive and passion with goals and have ambition enough to put yourself out there.....that to me deserves some positive feedback.Keep at it, make a list of companies within reasonable distance of your home base or further, contact them and sell yourself direct.

Take note of seemingly negative comments and take heart from the positive ones.

I think it's worth noting that there are those who prefer to work for themselves and those which prefer to be employed.....we all have our reasons for preference, I prefer to be employed....less hassle,not being pressurised to get tax returns done etc, can develop your skills as you go along, and maybe consider the self employed thing if you reach a point where you feel comfortable with that.

Good luck with it.

Cheers for the kind words mate. I know I'm going in the right direction and I am determined to make the change so I'll just keep plugging away and one day I'll get where I want to be.

IMO if I was really short staffed and needed new guys ASAP then I'd look at posts like this and possibly make contact, and take it from there. I'm not sure how many companies are out there that are that desperate for new blood at the moment however. I commend your enthusiasm and you've sold yourself well but in reality if you want to get your foot in the door you are much better off approaching local tree companies directly and hounding them until they give you a trial. At the same time approach anyone who is advertising for staff (of any level) and talk your way in - if you are the right guy the training costs can be accommodated by any decent business.

Like Chris I am looking at a career change into this sector. I have a business startup course booked which also gives Cs30, 31, 38 & 39. Also like Chris I would like to be employed.

From the research I have done this is a word of mouth & reputation business. For me the drawbacks of going alone straight away are not feasible. Early on it'll be your feet on the ground chopping and after a weeks (hard) work, I would like to relax (by taking a stroll in the woods lol) not doing paperwork and worrying where the next job is coming from. At least an established company will have contracts in place and good customer base.

I have spoke with other ex military who did start up alone and they said the initial outlay, paperwork etc was like jumping in at the deep end with weights on your ankles. They have sold most of their kit and employed with companies.

I've been working in Cheshire for the last 20 years Chris.

I think your best bet (if you haven't already) is to pick your nearest dozen or so arb firms & contact them via sail-mail. It's a fairly radical approach in this day & age but it may pay dividends. Offer to work free for a trial - the best way to meet the faces behind the companies. If you impress your name may get put about, it's a fairly small world round here. Beleive it or not; there are people in this county who've never heard of ArbTalk:001_tongue:

Treefellers in Broxton down the A49 are always on the lookout for hard workers (you can get in touch with the general manager here: Spoolos) http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/employment/56035-workers-required-cheshire.html

Good luck.

I've been working in Cheshire for the last 20 years Chris.

I think your best bet (if you haven't already) is to pick your nearest dozen or so arb firms & contact them via sail-mail. It's a fairly radical approach in this day & age but it may pay dividends. Offer to work free for a trial - the best way to meet the faces behind the companies. If you impress your name may get put about, it's a fairly small world round here. Beleive it or not; there are people in this county who've never heard of ArbTalk:001_tongue:

Treefellers in Broxton down the A49 are always on the lookout for hard workers (you can get in touch with the general manager here: Spoolos) http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/employment/56035-workers-required-cheshire.html

Good luck.

Thanks for the reply contractarb, I am actually in the process of finalising my CV and cover letter to be sent out to the list of companies I have researched, treefellers being one of them.