Wood for Pizza's

Spruce Pirate

Did you build the wood fired oven yourself?

Sent using My c

Sort of mate. We run cob building courses from time to time, and when we have no builds for the courses, we invent something and lay foundations etc, then the course builds it. It's a really cool oven that the kids here named the gruffalo. The oven is a big fire breathing monster head, with a big tail stretching out the side to form a bench, and an arm for a small table the other side. I'll take some pics at some point and show ya.

Amazing what you can get built if you run courses. At the mo we have, gruffalo, cob eagle shaped bench. Strawbale porting shed and sheep shed from the straw bale course, and s few other oddities.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheeky sod is probably saving on the expensive Pine Nuts that should be added to certain Piazzas.

I would have though anything non resinous/non oderous and yes absolutly bone dry.

Hawthorn, apple, pear, beech, syacmore?, indeed birch should be good, a sweet smell or odour, perhaps the acids/tannin in fresh Oak could be an issue though.

I recall barbacuing on a mix of woods, incl conifer if I recall.

Once it has reduced to glowing embers, the specis does not seem to matter, cept confier makes very poor embers.

We use all sorts of firewood in our home built Pizza/Bread Oven.

We generally start off with finely split larch or spruce and then build the fire up with small bits of oak or beech. Our oven get so hot that there's very little smoke when it's fully up to temp. We've cooked pizzas and roasted joints using entirely softwood in the past and not noticed any 'tainting' of the food.

The Italians often use softwood, although they seem to prefer old vine and olive trees.

In a word - HAWTHORNE. The ultimate for baking bread.

Your bread doesn't take long then TCD? Last time I made fire with Hawthorne I had to wait for my eyebrows to grow back

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

I supply logs to a customer with a mobile wood fired pizza oven. Any dry seasoned hardwood is fine so long as it is split fairly thin. The pizzas arent in the oven for very long so you are very unlikely to affect the flavour of the pizza with different species of wood. At the end of the she throws a few logs in the oven as it is cooling down and uses them to start it next time round

supply a chap with a Italian pizza oven from Italy. supply him with wood any species of hard wood and he likes what we take say he gets a hot fire. asked him about it and his is as big as a small shed he gets the fire going when he has some hot embers he pushes this to back of oven then puts more in so it is burning hot. he watches top of oven when it goes white he is ready to cook says it takes a minute to cook a pizza going over next week to sample one.

but never asked for certain type wood what we give him is elm,ash,beech bit of sycamore.

So no-one knows of any reason that only elm or beech should be used. It seemed strange to me at the time, but as I had a bit of elm in I didn't question it too much and just took his money. What the customer wants, after all, is what you should sell them (within reason obviously).