Splitting Image

dave28

A while back I put a post on here asking for advice on splitting small amounts of kindling to sell with a load of logs.Thanks to some of the replies I've been trying a

few ideas and settled on the bungee or rope round the log idea, surprised how quick it is, takes only 2 or 3 rounds about 8 inch diameter to loose fill a biggish bag.I thought I'd charge a fiver a bag if delivered with a load of logs.The pics might be useful to anybody else that just needs a few bags now and again.

I'm splitting sycamore here which seems to pop apart before the splitting knife touches the bungee.Anybody got any thoughts on the best species for kindling I'd be glad to hear.Cheers.

kindling3.jpg.38e3512456d2968dafce2bc04b03bbb1.jpg

kindling5.jpg.a8e56c3dd5ad3704e57cb4caefbacdfd.jpg

kindling4.jpg.5cd76b04614d3729558f2dd3d7485ea0.jpg

Kindling2.jpg.6d1c805d20a2c71be5559a63343c70e2.jpg

5976651a9446f_Kindling1.jpg.46fa611d6964a9b76f7928979bb1e192.jpg

I tried the bungee couple of years ago with softwood but you had to drive the blade so low to break the knots that you cut the bungee, now I just buy the sacks in £2 delivered sell them on £4.95

You are right, I found that this only works with nice clean and knot free logs.

I would buy in but I prefer to use wood that I come by in a woodland that I look after. If I needed a larger amount and didn't have the time I would certainly be looking to buy in.

Nice indoor job on a wet day.

But I do take your point, this is only any use for small quantities.