Stihl MS170...won't start?

ldj92

Hi

I have been given an old chainsaw to mess about with. Unfortunately it doesn't start ( probably why my boss gave it to me for free).

The chainsaw is 8-10 years old and has been sitting around for a year or so now.

I have checked the spark plug and there appears to be a spark there, fuel line seems to be in a reasonable order.

Could somebody please let me know what could be up with it and if its worth spending a few quid on getting it working again.

Thanks, Luke

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

I have been given an old chainsaw to mess about with. Unfortunately it doesn't start ( probably why my boss gave it to me for free).

The chainsaw is 8-10 years old and has been sitting around for a year or so now.

I have checked the spark plug and there appears to be a spark there, fuel line seems to be in a reasonable order.

Could somebody please let me know what could be up with it and if its worth spending a few quid on getting it working again.

Thanks, Luke

Is the plug wet when pulling the saw over 10-15 times with the choke on?

One thing worth doing is taking the muffler off and making sure the piston isn't scored - it should look wet and silvery - bit like a nice bit of fish:lol:

Do these two things and report back:thumbup:

Think everyone ive ever worked on had a duff carb one way or another. They seem to gum up at the drop of a hat and at less than £20 its cheaper just to buy a new ebay one than to mess with it. Also the original carb doesnt have fuel adjustment whereas the replacements normally do.

Like you say they are prone to fuel lines to.

As spud said maybe a scored piston due to being wrongly gassed etc but its not the sort of saw which most would use often so I shouldn't think its worn out through wear tbh.

I'm no pro by any means but, two strokes are simple creatures. Does it have compression? You said it has spark. That only leaves fuel. Assuming it does have compression and, It does not need to have the amount of compression it had when it come from the factory but if when you pull on it there is little to no resistance... junk it. After that its just reed valves and carb. If it has the first two compression and spark I normally just drop some fuel in it. If it fires I know my carb is bad or clogged. If it don't its the reeds that simple...

I'm no pro by any means but, two strokes are simple creatures. Does it have compression? You said it has spark. That only leaves fuel. Assuming it does have compression and, It does not need to have the amount of compression it had when it come from the factory but if when you pull on it there is little to no resistance... junk it. After that its just reed valves and carb. If it has the first two compression and spark I normally just drop some fuel in it. If it fires I know my carb is bad or clogged. If it don't its the reeds that simple...

These newer saws are cylinder ported....no Reed valves, they went out with the 009, 010, 011 etc!

Dont forget to check the points and condenser too:biggrin::001_tongue:

Now now Barrie, his post started well and ran out of talent at the end, guess it could be the rotary valve:blushing:

To the original poster, do what I said in my first post and go from there:thumbup: