How does this look for a first climbing kit?

LewisPH

Hi all - As someone in the very early stages of getting into Arboriculture, I'm looking to purchase my first climbing kit. I'm going to start off recreationally on our own land, and then work my way up to getting my climbing tickets when I'm more comfortable moving around in a tree.

Looking for your opinions on this kit list, anything you'd change, anything that might not be compatible etc. I know a lot of you will suggest a simple prusik loop instead of the hitch climber, but a pulley to tend with seems a lot more convenient for a beginner. But of course I might be wrong. I understand that the 8mm friction cord bites a little better but can seize easier with certain knots - I intend to use a simple prusik, which I understand doesn't bind up too much?

With regards to a harness, I intend to go to Honeybros and test one out before buying, but the Sequoia looked like a good choice with decent reviews. I don't think I'd need the SRT version as I don't plan on climbing in that format until I'm far more advanced.

I also need to add a kit bag to that list, but not something I need to much help on!

This is the lanyard kit - Clicky.

59766514a08dc_ScreenShot2013-06-16at21_39_38.png.15adadea084bbc687ff4d004d854461a.png

Edited by LewisPH

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You may be cheaper of just to but a 3m length of friction cord, cut it down to size and put fisherman loops in each end, as the £66 looks quite steep! This can also apply to your length of climbing rope, you can use any anchor knot and it will be cheaper!

Also for the bag look around for rucksacks at go outdoors or other outdoor places or even ebay as I think go outdoors has a half price sale on but as you said you don't need much help on that!

Cheers for the input Jack.

The reason I went for a long rope is that adding £20 for an extra 10m now saves me faffing around in the future.

I'd agree about the price of the Hitchclimber, but by the time krabs and a pulley is added I'm practically there anyway am I not?

How important would you guys consider friction savers for a beginner? I'd have imagined it'd be something you appreciate more when you've been climbing a long time. They seem fairly complex to set up when I just want to whip up a tree in the afternoon for practise?

How important would you guys consider friction savers for a beginner?

They are not essential, you can climb without them but they make it easier to climb and save your rope and the tree especially if you are going to climb the same tree and use the same anchor point.

How important would you guys consider friction savers for a beginner? I'd have imagined it'd be something you appreciate more when you've been climbing a long time. They seem fairly complex to set up when I just want to whip up a tree in the afternoon for practise?

A twin ring is simple and cheap enough, you will appreciate it immediately as it will reduce the friction you feel, reduce wear on your rope and not potentially damage the trees cambium.

It all depends on what climbing style you adopt, I learned a lot of climbing techniques of my brother I climb on a blakes hitch like he does so you trying out a hitch climber is not bad after all you are the one that need to feel safe on it, but do try a couple of nots and hitches and see what you feel happy on, I've been climbing 7 years now and wouldn't change the way I climb did like the look of those petal zig zags and look what happened eh?

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Hi Lewis, I take it you not cutting at all just rec climbing. Cambium saver definitely, get good habits and care for trees from the start as the trees your climbing won't be removals. A helmet is a must, a spare biner or 2, and a F8 or R8. An absolute must would be the book "The Tree Climbers Companion" by Jeff Jepson, this will assist in helping you develop systems safely.

PS, SRT is no more than a differing way of climbing using a single line. I started climbing SRT/WP and haven't looked back.

Food for thought mate.

Cheers

Tony