Woodburning Stoves?

Going to be buying a new woodburning stove soon, never had one before only open fires/gas fires so need some advice.

Thinking of somewhere between 4.5 to 5 kw and it wont have a boiler.

Anyone know anything about Jotul, Franco Belge or Morso? Only looked at these three so far. Any other recomendations, general advice or pics of your stoves would be good.

Cheers

TC

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most 5kw stoves seem quite narrow and are only able to take small logs. I recently fitted an Esse 100 for my Gran, its wide and shallow instead of being narrow and will take a bigger log which is handy as some have really annoyingly small fireboxes. We went for the esse mainly because it fitted the fireplace better then other models but it has proved to be very good and the large door with a big window means you see more of the fire.:001_smile:

http://www.stovesonline.co.uk/wood_burning_stoves/Esse-100-stoves.html

PS. prices seem to have gone up a lot in since August, I'm sure we paid around £450 so shop around.

i personally wouldnot buy british stoves and would go for a jotul

i'm not saying all british are bad, and god knows we need the indusrty here but the european brands are far better quality.imo

I've been warned off buying UK built stoves by a customer who has 3 working stoves in his house - Jotul, Hunter which he doesnt rate (build quality) and a Vermont Castings which is very good apparently.

Most 5kw stoves seem quite narrow and are only able to take small logs. I recently fitted an Esse 100 for my Gran, its wide and shallow instead of being narrow and will take a bigger log which is handy as some have really annoyingly small fireboxes. We went for the esse mainly because it fitted the fireplace better then other models but it has proved to be very good and the large door with a big window means you see more of the fire.:001_smile:

http://www.stovesonline.co.uk/wood_burning_stoves/Esse-100-stoves.html

PS. prices seem to have gone up a lot in since August, I'm sure we paid around £450 so shop around.

Thats a nice looking stove Tom, your Gran must be well happy. I agree the bigger window is much better for seeing the flames and using longer logs but we have a narrow fireplace. It'd have to sit out from the fireplace and it'd take up too much floorspace which is limited as it is. Gonna have to go for a narrow shaped stove.

esse-100-multifuel-stove-b.jpg.c22f4b980953f86723e06bf1c05ba1dd.jpg