Is it ??????????????

Will Hinchliffe

picture.php?albumid=20&pictureid=546

This is what a dessicated Inonotus dryadeus usually looks like.

The tree this fungi is on is massive, road side and covered in fruiting bodies.

The white I.dryadeus is on a short old pollarded oak just outside Shaftesbury. Its roadside but I wouldn't be concerned about it as the road is very rural and quiet.

At Longleat they have loads of Oaks with I.dryadeus but I have not seen one that has failed. Im sure one has but I have not had the chance to view the decay.

I.dryadeus does not move via root grafts and colonises hosts with airborne spores. I think the reason the Longleat estate has so many trees with I.dryadeus on is due to mowing around the trees and causing mechanical damage to the buttresses allowing the fungi to colonise the trees.

picture.php?albumid=20&pictureid=546

This is what a dessicated Inonotus dryadeus usually looks like.

The tree this fungi is on is massive, road side and covered in fruiting bodies.

The white I.dryadeus is on a short old pollarded oak just outside Shaftesbury. Its roadside but I wouldn't be concerned about it as the road is very rural and quiet.

At Longleat they have loads of Oaks with I.dryadeus but I have not seen one that has failed. Im sure one has but I have not had the chance to view the decay.

I.dryadeus does not move via root grafts and colonises hosts with airborne spores. I think the reason the Longleat estate has so many trees with I.dryadeus on is due to mowing around the trees and causing mechanical damage to the buttresses allowing the fungi to colonise the trees.

You must have posted at the same time as me!!!

Jinx!

Tricky to tell isn't it. Goes to show how important it is to look at the pores, tubes, cuticle etc . They can dry and rot so differently under different conditions. I was thinking that maybe my white one emerged at the wrong time of year and was killed off by a frost then dried in the wind.

Your fruiting body certainly seems to have that warty cuticle that you would expect with an old I.dryadeus

Any one got a photo of a fresh one with the gutation?