Loads of things I would like to carve but don't have talent or materials for :(

• Moon gazing hare
  • Badger
  • Raccoon
  • Big bear
  • Fox
  • Wolf
  • Eagle landing

I have been looking for suitable pictures and poses on tinternet for all the above just need to draw them up on lining paper. Need more experience before I invest in large pieces of wood and chop into them.

Good Blog; I have a few carvings im interested in doing sometime..

1. Sheep

2. Owl

3. Otter

4. Eagle

5. Hand Seat ( Sit on palm, with fingers as back rest)

Iv seen the carving a bear book which gives good advice, a step by step guide, although some cuts id change how their done so to minimise mistakes.

Loads of things I would like to carve but don't have talent or materials for :(

• Moon gazing hare
  • Badger
  • Raccoon
  • Big bear
  • Fox
  • Wolf
  • Eagle landing

I have been looking for suitable pictures and poses on tinternet for all the above just need to draw them up on lining paper. Need more experience before I invest in large pieces of wood and chop into them.

when your looking for inspiration on t net look to see how other people have carved what you want to do but always work from pictures of the real thing. if you buy a big log you should be able to make a few of them out of one log. I like drawing stuff up on lining paper but I transfer it to clear polythene so I can lay it on my wood and draw underneath it and be able to see where in drawing.

I have too many carvings I want to do but never get the chance as im always busy doing what other people want.

Maybe the other thing to do, is not make them.

That isn't meant to sound harsh, but it could just be worth exploring and developing other items that pop into your head or that you feel comfortable about making.

The downside of wanting to carve the items that you have listed, is that you could fall into the (my) trap of comparing your own work with that of others who have been carving for many many years, then suddenly start to get despondent as you have not perhaps met your own expectations. I stating this, as that is pretty much how I get. If I can't achieve what I had plane din my head, I then struggle to progress forward.

After spending most of my working life using a chainsaw, I bought a new MS192 and it has only used two tanks of petrol, and I'm now going to get rid of it. I have decided that I prefer creating work on the bandsaw, or use a bigger chainsaw to create shapes, not figures, that require a smaller saw.

There is a niche for all of use, it just a case of finding it. :)

I have several lists.

Things I have carved.

Things I want to carve.

People I have carved for.

People who want me to carve.

I make blocking patterns to establish proportions and study the subject.

Before I start I decide if it will be realistic or "characteristic".

Either way you need to study the subject.

I sketch, model in clay, sometimes photograph the model and photoshop the model into a line graphic.

I use a grid based pattern

Seems like a lot of work but I do it to share it.

I post my patterns FREE at:

chainsawcarve.ca

Maybe the other thing to do, is not make them.

start to get despondent as you have not perhaps met your own expectations.

I do this in every part of my life :blushing: my expectations are so high it's rarely possible to meet them :blushing:

I done the same last year with a radio controlled 1/3rd scale Sopwith Pup WW1 biplane I built. It was just going to be a quick and dirty build with no detail emphasis being on getting it flying. I ended up making all cockpit instruments and a pilot etc but even though many people said how wonderful it is but not as good as I envisaged.

59766514cdc1e_B1807TibenhamSunset2.jpg.cede795650cd586dac135956ccb143ea.jpg

59766514c90be_Mypuprear.jpg.45e8fe2da96be2633906c55c5963ba84.jpg

Stunning. :)

Being self critical is my biggest downside. I hate it.

I've been self employed for 27yrs, and I'm still waiting to walk away from a job thinking "that was great" Even the smallest of flaws annoys me, and I don't think that I'm ever going to reach the expectations that I want from myself. It isn't a good attitude to have. :(

Oddly I never see this in the work of others, and just accept any flaws, blemishes, mistakes and make no opinion of it.

• 2 weeks later...
Stunning. :)

Being self critical is my biggest downside. I hate it.

Same here I am never satisfied with what I have created, I can always see something I do not like about a piece. That said you have to stop somewhere or there wouldn't be any wood left :001_rolleyes:

As for things I want to carve the list is too long for now if I finish the Herons piece and the 7' Dragon I will be satisfied, until the next idea:thumbup:

I want to carve large, I think I need to get a sacrificial piece of pine type stuff and just give it my best shot with moon gazing hare etc. Bigger is easier in some ways............ remove 1/2" on a small carving it's boogered, 1/2" on a BIG carving wont show.