Owl Eyes

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how much is done with a chainsaw ?

Damn I been found out :blushing:

Not as much as I would like I rough out only then go in with anything sharp.............. chisels; grinder, flap wheels, dremel and my favourite tool my trusty ole farriers rasp :thumbup1:

I will take a photo of whatever I rough out next and post it up.

I'm not a proper chainsaw carver :001_tt2:

any tips

I don't really feel I'm experienced enough to give tips I'm still learning myself, this forum has been fantastic so far for help :thumbup1:

I can only say what I do and you make up your mind if it's a tip or not :001_tt2:

I first take a good long look at the wood and figure out any imperfections etc. On a couple of owls I have had a nice large branch off at 90 degrees near the top of my piece which has lent itself beautifully to being the face of the owl giving a very interesting appearance due to grain changing direction.

Check out tinternet and get as many pictures as you can of the subject you wish to carve and from many angles and poses so you can fully understand the structure and movement of your subject.

Get yourself some decorating lining paper nice big rolls dirt cheap and do yourself a few full size drawings. You can either chalk out a side and front view on your wood or grid your drawing and transpose that to the wood (more accurate).

Block out all in one direction I normally do owls from the side first then block out from the front. Go in with the chalk or large pencil again and start putting some detail on it you will soon know your limitations with the chainsaw what you can and cant cut. What yo cant saw hit it with a chisel :001_tongue: Sometimes I use a spade wood bit in the drill for bits such as behind the legs in front of tail then open it up with chisel. If it's a large bird I can chainsaw it out with my little MS150 rear handle.

Keep going back in with the pencil marking it out so you don't loose track of what you are trying to achieve.

• Have drawings/pictures
  • Follow drawings not cut what you think it should be
  • Know your subject thoroughly
  • Have sharp tools
  • Stand back from all angles to check out progress
  • Drink loadsa Kenco
  • Sweep up
  • Leave it and come back with a fresh eye if it's not going right