Working alongside idiots

I wouldnt worry about it. How much work would you actually get from you van parked at the front of a house, exspecially in a cul de sac.

I know its good practice to be sign written but the amout of work coming from it, and from it alone, is minimal.

Beat me to it, except I would recommend the door knock and explain in person, tune adversity into advantage

Yes a quick explanation regarding your concern over differing standards between companies. Have a letter ready if no one is home. You could apologise for any disturbance caused by the tree work and then add about the other companies disrespect. I wouldn't go down the slagging route but just say you were concerned that your good name being confused with others.

do you think they will even care??? i doubt very much they would be watching there every move, writing down your company name to tell everyone about an untidy sorbus???

imo your over reacting......most people probably wouldnt of even noticed anything other than a few men at work..........

do you think they will even care??? i doubt very much they would be watching there every move, writing down your company name to tell everyone about an untidy sorbus???

imo your over reacting......most people probably wouldnt of even noticed anything other than a few men at work..........

You might be right, although to be fair they were making a scene

I wouldnt worry about it. How much work would you actually get from you van parked at the front of a house, exspecially in a cul de sac.

I know its good practice to be sign written but the amout of work coming from it, and from it alone, is minimal.

This is the truth. In my experience most people asking us for cards on jobs are after 'cheap' cash jobs or they are hoping the lads will do the work using the firms tools in firms time:sneaky2:

Thing is with signwriting (IMHO) it's not so much the instant work it gets you, it is putting the name in peoples heads,

You need some tree surgery done and someone says "you should try Blogg's Tree Surgery" and you think "oh yeah, I've seen their vans! I'll call 'em"

Or you see the ad and it rings a bell. There is probably a word in marketing for it like "Semi-subliminal" or summat.

Auto suggestion ? They banned an ad at the cinema years ago . Coke ( the drink not the drug ) inserted one frame ( showing a bottle of coke ) in a movie . People watching the film did not realize they had seen it but coke sales went up .

Yes that can happen but unless the name is suggested to someone who lives in that cul de sac then it really doesn't matter.

Also that kind of advertising only really works on a much larger scale, so that's where logo and image association comes in, and the returns are still minimal but a.5% increase in a massive turnover is worth the effort.

So, local one off tree surgeons don't need to worry about it too much. Your name still has to be mentioned before that association is made, therefore the thing that is working (in the example above) is word of mouth.

I have magnetic signs on my cab just for reasons like this they can be removed asap but got caught out the other day I get a few loud mouthed tradesmen that think they are clever and like to associate theirselves with me whilst im working I had one the other week fitted a fence for a regular customer of mine.

What I didnt realise was he had talked her into removing severel conifers to put the fence in he had the cheek to approach me out the front garden before he cleared off with his paycheck I seen him out the front and I said you must be the person fitting the fence he replied yes its all done now and said if he got any work he would recomend me so I kinda went yeah ok same for you too me being polite .

Then I walked around the back to find conifer had been bashed up all over her lawn it was everywhere in the flower beds all over the grass and im not taking small bits either there were sticks all over enough bits to fill 3 ton sacks the moron and not only that they had kicked gravel out of her gravelled areas all into the lawn I was fuming how can somebody leave a customers garden in that mess I really hope the neighbours didnt think he had anything to do with me as I wouldnt recomend him to anyone jack of all trades my customer said he didnt have a chipper and they cut it up in front of her with no ppe on the lawn.

I felt bad because a few weeks earlier she asked if I done fencing and I said no because its simply somthing I dont do I wish I had said yes now as would of done a better job than what this blokey did,fence posts sat in clay soil no post crete meta posts or creosote wrapper things now I dont know much about fencing but I would say going off fence posts I have on my land in very similar soil 5 years tops before they rot through in wet soil like that unfortunatly I did not cath the mans name but I know he advertises in the same catalogue directory thats local to me so will be looking out for it and warning others to avoid