Large urban tree failure

Interesting variety of views on this.

If 'they' had known it was going to fail no doubt it would have been condemned and removed in a controlled manner.

Had it been condemned what would the reaction have been based on the evidence available? Depends on what evidence had been collected I suppose.

It does remind me of one piece of advice often given about suspect trees...

(I think it's been mentioned on a couple of threads recently)

'Given the recent strong winds weve had it MUST be reasonable to climb, just be careful'

On a pedantic note - the day before this tree fell (and many like it) we could have looked at it and said just that.

I don't know nearly as much as a lot of the brainiacs on here but this shows that if and when you give advice - you gotta be 100% sure - specially if you charge for the advice.

Wow, a close call for sure! Its all well and good to say it should have been felled, but if you stood under that tree a year ago what would you have recommended? You can't fell every tree with potential to cause damage unless there is an indicator of potential failure, like root plate movement or fungi or body language hints. Otherwise there'd be no urban trees over 10 foot tall!

Very hard to tell from the pics, but if there was nothing to suggest this failure was imminent then the surveyor likely will be ok; As long as the tree owners/surveyor (council?) did all that was reasonable and proportionate given the benefits which mature trees provide. As has been said, with all the mature trees in urban locations, this is a very rare event.

It will be interesting to see what happens next...

thats good ... are you well buddy ?

maybe lots of worried face's around many local authorities and RSLs

many who resist tree removals . due to cost implication, dressed up as retaining amenity value ,,,

trees are under enough onslaught with ever increasing P&D let alone stress from urbanisation

pollards are only one answer, best done in open places, as pollards can seriously retard rootplate volume, with potentially catastrophric results

we have seen an increase in tree failures this year perhaps in part due to the hard long winter and then wet spring and recent high winds , even rowan with little leaf mass still in blossom

lucky .. could have been much worse.

knee jerk reaction .. lots of applications and requests for tree removals me thinks,..

for a price we might move darn souff for a bit ,, can we crash at yours Davy lol

"dahn sarf"you mean?:001_smile:

From an outsiders point of view that Pop was far too tall, I mean a pop of 70ft or one of 40, what's the diff from an amenity POV? from the pic David put up it was topped/pollarded/scalped whatever, why not do it a lot lower? Surely in that location it was never going to achieve veteran status or anything.

Yes I know hindsight is always 40/40.