Which brushcutter

bobh

Thanks for all the replies

Looks like something in the 40-45cc range is about right then.

I've done a few figures and still can't see how I can justify a new one so it's looking like my ebay account is going to get busy. Had a look last night and the larger Huskys are in short supply on there but plenty of FS400's so looking more like one of them.

Not dismissing the Echo either but again there is a limited number available on ebay.

Not convinced about the Honda, I've used one in the past and it worked fine but I just don't see the point of a 4 stroke, more to go wrong and the weight is an issue. Also I usually have plenty of 2 stroke fuel mixed up so fuel is never going to be an problem.

Big T, I love the little FS55 an if I was only clearing a patch of 100 meters then I wouldn't be changing but last summer I did just over an acre with it in one job and there's more than that to do this year so I think it's time to change.

my honda,s have never gone wrong my last 425 went on for 10years still goes the shaft has worn out. so i got the 435. and picked up a 425stick. mine get hammered and i mean hammered. i do a lot of footpath cutting back and fieldpaths. did a field path yesterday 3 miles long filled up with string and fuel i did the lot both sides long grass brambles saplings. and did not miss a beat and did not refuel. last year did over 10 miles of paths when i got the honda and never let me down once starts first pull. and away i go rarely have to refill string will go for a half day. and just refill with fuel and string and carry on. they get bad press as there 4 stroke but not had any issues with them being 4 stroke. and for price againt the sthil or husky £200 cheaper.

power of honda

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I've been using my 343r solid, 8 hour days for 2 days, compared to the few hours the day before with an FS85, husky has better AV than the FS400's I used to use, it's an absolute monster, running 3mm cord and it cuts like it was a blade, if the 545 is supposed to be better, get it!

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Italian alpina 45's have done me well in my 7 years of strimming. Never liked stihl, the fs55 that were bought for us at work are rubbish, amazingly bad at low revs when trimming boarders etc, and only really works well in its powerband range. never used husky or echo, so nothing to say about them.

I'd go for a 40cc or bigger, with a mulching blade. I like Kawasaki as I am quite tall, and the shaft on these is longer than usual so no stooping, but others will differ!

There's a chap on ebay called harrythecat who has a lot of ex council, EA etc kit for reasonable prices, I brought a couple of saws from him and they've been good. At the moment there's an Echo which would do the job for £195...

harrythecat178 | eBay

As I said above I got a secondhand FS400, bought it from Harrythecat, thanks for the recommendation. Gave him a ring and had a good chat, nice bloke and very straight to deal with.

The machine turned up this morning 2 days after I ordered it which to here is very good, if I had been on the mainland I would have had it yesterday.

Great looking machine, it is in fact in better nick than I was expecting.

Did the first job with it today ran like a dream, earning me money already.

All in all a good purchase and a great bloke to deal with. :thumbup:

As I said above I got a secondhand FS400, bought it from Harrythecat, thanks for the recommendation. Gave him a ring and had a good chat, nice bloke and very straight to deal with.

The machine turned up this morning 2 days after I ordered it which to here is very good, if I had been on the mainland I would have had it yesterday.

Great looking machine, it is in fact in better nick than I was expecting.

Did the first job with it today ran like a dream, earning me money already.

All in all a good purchase and a great bloke to deal with. :thumbup:

Good choice I use one for clearing public footpaths runs 8hrs straight at a time and don't miss a beat!

• 2 weeks later...