Which brushcutter

bobh

I've got a Stihl FS55 (27cc) and it's a great little tool for grass and light clearing work but I'm getting more heavy clearing nowadays, brambles, bracken etc.

What size machine do people recommend for this sort of work, will be looking to fit a mulching blade.

Can't afford to spend a fortune on this as this work is only a small part of what I do so may go secondhand if I can find a good one.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went for a Kawasaki 45cc machine - cheaper than Stihl and Husky and also got 5 year domestic warranty and I think they offer 3 years commercial as well on the same machine. Ripping through heavy bramble and bracken with it at the moment.

What mulching blade are you looking at using - looking for recommendations on that myself.

try a Honda 435 43cc cracking brush cutter. i clear large brambles with a mulching blade and it loves it. 4 stroke so no mixing just normal fuel. got mine for just over £300. i still say a honda will match any of the 2 stroke cc for cc and go on for longer and is more economical. i have the 425 stick and we used a sthil

no difference in speed of cutting mine has bigger string easier to put on 10second job. and it ran for a good 10 mins longer on a tank of fuel.

will not change. unless i need a animal of a cutter then would look at the biggest sthil or husky. but do not needd one mine does all i want it to do and it runs some days for 6 hours and does not miss a beat quieter than a 2 stroke.

I recently used my FS55 to clear a large area (approx 100m square!) of chest heigh brambles, I fitted the stihl "grass cutting blade" and to be honest it did a cracking job! I have used FS400`s in the past and I recon that it wasnt much slower and a hell of a lot lighter! To make it easier and to stop it getting snagged on the brambles I took off the guard (naughty!) and by using an "up and down"motion instead of a "side to side" motion it went through the brambles fine! Might be worth trying this before you buy a new machine!?